Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bought a HOT 77 TA!

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Blaze, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 77 TA I had seen earlier. The Pontiac 400 is freshly rebuilt, .04 over, TRW internals, mild cam, rebuilt TH350, new TA (stock stall), Edelbrock intake, body needs paint and interior needs some work. I paid $600 for it! I'm giving him $100 today and then paying him the rest later. Man, this kicks ass! Pictures will be coming on Sunday.

2. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Sweet dude, A T/A is a very cool car (not as cool as a Chevelle though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) The price is right too. Are all the interior pieces there? Check e-bay for all the hard to find resto parts. Keep us posted on the progress (with pics of coarse.)

3. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I know man, I love em. I;m getting ready to put my 79 Bandit TA away for the winter, so this will be a good winter project. Most of the interior pieces are there, no door panels, though. A friend of mine has some he's giving me for it. Most of the other stuff I have, oh the advantages of running a Trans Am resto parts business! I'll definitely keep ya posted. Only 30 more minutes and it is MINE! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Kewl, can't wait to see pic's !!!!! I had a 75 T/A. Very fun cars !!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine has been driving his Dad's TA to work lately, I asked him about it and he says it's a 79 with the 6.6. No Chicken on the hood, tan interior...very cool car. I asked him to see if it was for sale. What should I expect the price to be? What should I look for? Any help would be appreciated.

6. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Well, if there is no bird it has either been repainted or is a hood-bird delete, which is a rare option. I like the bird, though. If it is a 4-spd, and it is in excellent shape, it is a 400 Pontiac motor and your probably looking at $4-5k. If it is a auto, it is the 403 Olds and your looking at $2-4k. Oldsmobirds suck, though. You would want to replace that with a real Pontiac motor!

7. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

it's the 403 auto...which is a strong motor, and will rev pretty high from what I hear, even though it's a 2 bolt. Usual interior wear, paint is cracking (usual on the 79 from what I hear) on the bumpers. Engine is mostly there, snorkel has been cut up (not a big deal) and the shaker is intact. Doesn't have the flip open scoops...but I'm not sure that's standard. I'm kind of excited, but I'd have to sell my bike to buy it. Kind of a trade off. Then I'd have the truck and a car to work on, but I guess now I have a truck and a bike, so it's about even. Power options mostly work, glass t tops. What else should I look at?

thing that sucks, I won't know for 2 weeks whether the guy wants to sell it or not.

8. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

The main this you gotta look for is frame rust. They tend to rust out along the rear frame rail on the driver's side. My 75 Firebird met it's doom this way. You're gonna want to rebuild or replace that 403, too. They are kinda strong in stock trim, but they are no match for the Pontiac 400. They can be built to be as strong, but you gotta do a cam/intake, exhaust package to get it running good.