Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bought a K5 off of E-Bay tonight

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by workingman, Dec 14, 2002.

1. workingman

workingman Registered Member

2. workingman

well it may be a NP208...

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Looks like a solid truck, you gonna build it up? or keep it stock height? Did the guy tell you it had a Np205?

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

cool.. .ive seen that truck befor on there to...but looks like a good truck!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. workingman

Build up is in the works for strength. Corp 14 and a Dana 60. Now that I'm not restricted by size I can get something done. Also a 203/205 is planned. After this a couple of good driveshafts and I'll be happy. Tires I'm undecided on as yet But no bigger than 35s. I have 5-33 x 12.5 sittin out back. I will camo it though pretty quick.

I've got a 98 Jeep right now that I stripped it from the frame down and I custom built a long arm suspension and put in a ford 9" and dana 44 (4.56) both locked with 35 x 12.5 BFG KMs. Bunch of other stuff to go with it - superwinch, locking hubs, cv driveshaft, 3/4 heim joint steering, you name it. I just got tired of fighting the driveshaft lengths when I wanted to do something and the fact that if the Jeep name is attached to it so is dollar signs. Its also harder to get around emissions on a 1998 when you go for a motor change out.

There was nothin cooler than when Charlton Heston was sittin in the blazer tellin the cop who was about to confiscate his Blazer, "It's got seven forward speeds and 3 reverse, are you sure you want to drive it?" in Earthquake (or somethin like that, though I don't even understand those numbers). Anyway I've wanted one ever since the movie came out. Does anyone remember that?

Doug
    Baton Rouge, LA

6. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Camo paint kicks butt!!!

Check mine out below!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I wonder what it's got for a cam. Might not be a crawler, but then again, might be a great mudder.

8. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

congrats /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif on the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

i have bought 3 off of ebay in the last year, this one is in my neck of the woods so feel free to drop by and say hi /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

great job.
    Camo rules

Bo

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

New projects always feel good. Congrats on the purchase. If you're going 1 ton, why stop at 35s? I'd go w/ at least a 38 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. workingman

Hey Reddog,

Is the company you work for hiring? I'd take a paycut to be an inspector! Come to think of it they might give the more undesirable ones to the new people to inspect. That's a nasty thought.

As far as the cam goes I don't know if it's even drivable as a daily driver. But I'm not gonna change horses mid-stream. I'm a crawler, not a mudder. The cam will go first if the RPM range doesn't start at idle. The holley will also eventually drop out in favor of something injected.

Right now I'm concerned about the cat conv - I forgot to ask if it had one. In LA and I somewhat quote "[We inspect] your vehicle’s safety equipment and a visual anti-tampering check of your emissions system, a gas cap integrity test is [also] performed."

So visually it has to put on a good show.

12. workingman

And by the way it's a 402 bored 60 over, not a 396. I think that comes out to a 415 c.i.? Is anybody having trouble with bored big blocks and cooling?

I'm a self proclaimed expert on small blocks but I don't know jack about BBs. I've had this problem with small blocks when running the same radiator as before the boring.

Thanks
    Doug

13. workingman

As a reply on the 1 ton running gear most people who know me say I over-do everything. But the main reason is I just don't like fixin things on the trail. My jeep could take 40s the way its built, I just didn't want to go that big because of tip over problems. I did not take into account of the Blazer being bigger though. I may go to 37s. This will be a daily driver as the Jeep is now. By the way I'll be selling a damn fine Jeep in super excellent shape - I think. It's hard to part with toys. Just try to take a truck from your two year old and you'll know how I feel...

14. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

you said 402 bored .060 over? that means its a 396 bored .090 over i'm pretty sure. its 413ci to be exact (i have the same thing in my garage, dynoed at over 550hp with all sorts of goodies done to it) hope the new beast works out of ya /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif