Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bought a new tool box...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chevyin, Nov 28, 2005.

1. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, think Ive found a great deal on a really nice tool box. Someone told me about it today, went down and looked at it, and bought it on the spot. Its a stainless steel unit, extremely well built, solid as a rock, and only cost $650 (at Costco). Here's a link to pics: http://www.hammerhead.bz/lx_gallery.htm# The one I bought doesn't say Hammerhead, but that's the exact same box. I have alot of toolboxes (5 roll-arounds now) including a Kennedy, and this is the best one I own. Better than the Grip-Latch I bought 3 months ago, for less $. If you are looking for a new box, this is the deal guys.

Just a heads up for anyone needing a new box.

2. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

My ex-wife bought me one of those. Best box I have had to date. :D :D :D :D

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Wow that's really nice. Any place I can order online? I went to the online hammer head store and the LX was listed as over 1200 dollars?

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The ex, or the ... nemmind, this isn't the pigpen.

-- A

5. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

I dont know of an online place to order them. All I know is any Costco should have them (mine had 11 in stock heh), and Im told Sam's Club also has SS boxes for about the same $ that may be the same thing. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

The closest (sp?) costco is 3'5 hours away, but I guess I could call and see if they have one they could ship. Does it have any names on it or is it just blank?

7. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

The only Emblem on it (upper left hand side of top box) says "CSPS". I called my local Costco before I went down, asked if they had any of the "big SS tool boxes advertised for $700"... he replied they had a $650 19-drawer box (this one), and had 11 in stock. They probably have them, and will probably know what it is when you call, it seemed to be a hot item. If you call and are unsure of anything, ask whatever questions you need here. I'll keep my eye on the post tomorrow.

edit: oops one thing I forgot to mention, the only difference I see between the box I bought and the Hammerhead pictured in the link (besides the emblems) is mine does have slightly different casters. The locking mechanism works differently. Functionally no difference, but it is the only difference I see between them at all, so I wanted to mention it.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

straight up bad ass. I'd love to have one of those. Only problem with my cheap ass is that every time i get $650, I spend it on 4x4 parts. :thumb:

j

9. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

I hear ya. :D

84gmcjimmy, I found the actual manufaturer's website (CSPS Metals). It has some more info on the box itself, but it also has a "place order" button. So maybe you can contact them and order it directly. Here's the link: http://www.cspsmetal.com/index.cfm

Aparently the box is made overseas by this CSPS Metals, and labeled under several other names in the U.S. (including HammerHead which retails for $1800). Not quite sure why some places want 1800 clams for the thing, while other places you can get it for 1/3 that. *shrug*

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thanks for finding that info for me. I will email them tonight to see how much they sell for and if they will ship it to me. Although I can't buy it for a while, since I still owe money on other things.

11. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

is it just me or are tools more of an addiction that 4x4s are? theyre sure are for me ive got a little over $16000 in tools not and only about $4000 into my suburban which hasnt been touched in over 6 months now...

heres mine its a 2005 matco tools 4735... 72"Lx42"Hx36"D. its almost full now next summer ill be buying the top section for it. it cost about $4700. and ive got over $10,000 inside of it. but i only buy SNAP-ON and MATCO...

[​IMG]
    the red snap-on next to it was my old box... too small at only 50" long.

12. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I've seen those at COSTCO it is a nice box. I bought one there that was similar a couple of years ago, no complaints about it, very reliable.

13. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Theres a number of those units rolling around at the shop I work at. The only complaints have been the steel is not very heavy guage and will ding pretty easily. AND NON-MAGNETIC............that would irritate the crap out of me. That fact alone steered me away, I bought a Husky. But for the price, if you can live with it.

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Why does it need to be magnetic?
    How easy is easy to ding?

15. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Worry about dings :confused:,,have a couple on the trucks :haha: :haha: :haha: . double wall stainless check the link for gauges :rolleyes: . Not magnetic, humm stainless :D . But really i just thought it was a good deal to share with fellow ck5'ers. :D This is the thickest wall box I own, including the Kennedy.

edit: 84gmcjimmy... glad to help

muddysub... sweet box too :D

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

to each their own... its something more like $16000 in my K5 and $4000 in tools for me... except replace both the 1 and the 4 with a 2. :grin:

j

17. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Magnetic, because I use magnets to hold pictures of my daughter to the inside of the lid and notes and workorders to the side. Dings, ya I'll get you some pics of the shape of those stainless boxes in the shop compared to some of the others if you'd really like. I don't know what the guages are but I'm telling you what I see every day.

This is my husky. very good box for the cost. 66% less expensive than the comparible Mac model and 75% less than the comparible snap-on box.

[​IMG]

18. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply, but I can tell thin sheetmetal from thick, and this thing is built like a tank. More heavy-duty than my Kennedy. Dings or dents in it??? rofl Give me a break...

19. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Look pal, I don't need static from you. I don't know who you are or what you do, but around here there's in excess of 475 skilled tradesmen on the floor in my shop, I did a little walkaround poll of the guys that make their livings out of the Costco Box. All I got was an earfull of belly laughs at your claim that it doesn't mark easily. I couldn't find one man that agrees with you. I believe these guys and what I have seen, over you, who cannot even identify a NP203 or a D60.

I'm not saying it doesn't physically weigh alot, which it does. The roller drawers are good. The casters are good. But the skin just does not compare. I bought the smaller stainless box a few years ago too, it has not held up well. I don't know what a kennedy is but there hasn't been one in any of the shops I've worked at, that speaks volumes itself.

I'm not saying its a bad deal either. Just know what your getting into. Expect the quality to be on par for the price. Don't think your getting a top quality toolbox, that size, for $800. It'll last if you stick it in your personal garage or a small shop where it never moves, but a polished turd is still a turd.

20. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ok, granted i don't have all that many automotive tools, but hear me out.

Am i the only one that wants a box like that, but can't give up the portability of my tools? I have a blazer, so keeping them all in a truck style box doesn't work. Right now, i basically have them all in whatever case they came in (lots of craftsman), in the boxes, or in a couple small tool boxes.

I'd love to have a nice box for it all, but i need to take it home, or to different jobs so often that i'd be unloading and loading the dam box all the time.

Anyways though, that looks like a pretty good Deal!