Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bought a new tow rig over the weekend.

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by jays68yak, Jan 2, 2007.

1. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Well drove up to Napa this morning with the old man to checkout a 98 crew cab long bed srw chevy. Guy was asking 5k, but it had a few issues. Some large some small, but then again its all nuts and bolts. It has 205k on the chassis, 100k on the motor/tranny. 454, 4x4, power everything. It needs, a cat, a windshield, a tierod and pitman, an alignment, the lift blocks are installed backwards so it vibes on take off, and the taillights seem to be burnt out. Oh and the interior is nice other then the front seat which is worn and torn on the drivers side.

Got it for $3500. Its 2 years out of reg so the tags are going to be about a grand. I figure Ill have around 5k into it. Even though it needs work I think this is a big step up from my current tow rig. Its got way more power. [​IMG]

Worked on it yesterday and fix the lift block issue. Had to weld some 1/4" plate to the top of the perches as the perches on the newer 14bolts is way rouded on the edges and this is what killed the lift blocks. Also got the brake lights working. They had the groudn dissconnected, a blown fuse, and 2 wires spliced in that were shorting each other out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cajun4x4

Cajun4x4 1/2 ton status

nice find man, my next truck will be something similar

all it needs now is a tappered front end, tube bed, boatsiding, exo,mogs and 47s :rolleyes:

3. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Funny thing is Jason is in my club. When I was looking at this truck I kept thinking to myself that Im copying him. :doah:

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Purty . I just got a 1993 . Will want a grille like yours , mine is only a Cheyenne . Nice find :D

5. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Im not sure if I want to keep the chevy grill or go back to a GMC grill. The truck that this is replacing is a 94 GMC so its got the big opening. Ive always liked those over the Chevy but the Chevy is a nice change.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i'm going 94+ Composite grille with my 93 Cheyenne too. doesnt look like its gonna be any too hard.

good score for sure!

7. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

$3500?!?!? NICE!

AND ya got the manual shift 241. :bow: I always hated the pushbutton.

8. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Sweet looking rig man:bow::bow:
    They tow like a champ!

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You might actually be a little impressed with the mileage out of the vortec 7400 454. I've got a '98 2wd dually with a 5spd and can get 10-11mpg in town. Never did the mileage on the highway but it does noticeably better than my '81 K30 crew cab that gets 10mpg on the highway. I would definantly guess it's in the 13-15mpg range highway.

The Vortec 454 feels really strong too. I think it's 290HP or so, and builds a lot of torque down low, they really dialed in the power band compared to the older 454's.