Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bought a new welder today

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tRustyK5, May 14, 2005.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Got one of these on sale:

[​IMG]

Millermatic 135.

I have been using an old campbell hausfeld 80 amp flux core machine for home stuff for the last 5 years or so...and was never too impressed with it. It did the job but was very slow and often had feed problems.

Did some welding with the new machine today and it rocks! I originally wanted a Lincoln, but the miller had the infinite voltage adjustmant as well as infinite adjustmant for wire speed. All the lincolns and Hobarts i saw were 'stepped' adjustmant for voltage...

Anyways, it runs real sweet and even makes the flux cored wire look good. I'll be picking up a bottle of 75/25 this week from the gas guy at work. We'll get all the tube work done on BigDummy89K5's truck real soon now.

It was normally $715, but the place I bought it at had them on sale for 2 days only for $550 (US). I couldn't pass it up.

Rene

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Awesome! I have that same welder...except it cost me more a few years ago.
    Good luck with it!

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Awesome Rene! Put it in a suitcase and come on down! :D

4. Art'74

Art'74 1/2 ton status

Just to let you know, Lincoln does have the "infinite" type welder. It is called an SP135 plus. It costs in the $500's. You must have seen the SP135T which has the step adjustments which costs in the $400's.

Just info. for any Linclon fans. Art

5. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I have one of those at work and its a GREAT machine.I use it for all of my light to medium stuff.For heavy stuff I have an Esab 250 that I truly hate :D

Chris

6. tRustyK5

Looks like the SP135 plus is identical in features and performance. I didn't have much luck finding Lincoln dealers here so didn't see one in person. Home Depot here sells Lincolns, but didn't have the 135 plus. The closest they had was the weld pack 100 amp and it was $100 more than what i got the Miller for.

Rene

7. Art'74

Art'74 1/2 ton status

Yeah, one of my crews was about 900 miles away and both welders (1 primary and 1 back-up, you would think that would be enough) they had took a crap. I told them to go to Home Depot and get the meanest one they had there. Needless to say, it is a back up that no one wants to use except emergency. You'll love your Miller for many years. Just take better care of it than my crews do and it will last forever. Art

8. tRustyK5

We have this Miller at work:

[​IMG]

Ours is the one on the right. It cranks a little better than mine :p:

This is our TIG machine:

[​IMG]

It falls to me as Fab shop foreman to 'take care' of the machines...and if you walked in the shop now you wouldn't find a spec of dirt or dust on either machine. Grinding dust kills welding machines...

Apparently we're getting another welding machine on Wednesday. An old Hobart :surepal: . Hopefully it's better than every other Hobart i've had the misfortune of using...

Rene

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

That welder is a sweet machine. I have the same machine and it is pretty awesome. Fluxcore does really well in it and turns out some sweet welds. I havn't run gas on it yet but one day I will. For a 115v machine it will kick out some major power and penetrate some pretty heavy metals.

I love my Miller.

Harley

10. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

we have the miller 135's and lincoln 135+ at school. my teacher said he prefers the millers. i think it was causs how the wirefeed system is designed. more metal parts instead of plastic maybe.he's got to keep 30+ machines running so i figure he knows what he's talking about. anyhow, good choice :waytogo: