Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bought a rebuild kit for my Qjet, HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hathaway, Jun 15, 2001.

1. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna give her a shot and I wanna do it right. Picked up a rebuild kit today while I was at the parts store and i'm looking at instructions, WOW. lots of parts. But I know I can do this if I just take my time and don't rush through it. So anything in particular I should be careful of? Any advice at all? This is my first REAL project on the blazer and I wanna do it right. I WAS going to pick up a Holley but after talking to every one on here the Qjet sounds like the best bet and the rebuild kit was a hell of alot cheaper than buying a whole new carb. So thanks in advance for any help.

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Be sure to get all surfaces clean and all the old gaskets off. I rebuilt a Holley once and I got a gallon of Berriemans. I soaked the parts in there for a little while. I also got berrimans in a spray can (about 3 cans). It looked like a new carb when I got it back together! Also, I had some masking tape and when I would pull screws and bolts out, I would tape them all together and number them the same number that was on the exploded view on the diagram. That helped a bunch!!!! But wear some sort of gloves with the parts cleaner cause I didn't and it sorta made me sick cause I had my hands in it for a while. But taking your time and labeling things. Don't assume you'll remember where stuff goes. Good luck!

<font color=purple>Have you hugged your K5 today?</font color=purple>

3. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Muddin, good tips on labeling that should help out a ton. Where can I get some of the Berriemans cleaner stuff? Would any auto parts store have it? Thanks for the tips.

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

4. muddin4fun

Any parts store will have it. Get a metal bucket to poor it in too.

5. muddin4fun

Also, Grimmy is the Q-jet expert. He'll prolly give you some good tips that nobody else would (and could) think of [​IMG].