Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bought a tower today

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Z3PR, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I bought a 60 foot 3-sided tower this afternoon for $20.00 . It's in 10 foot sections that bolt together. 2 sections need work, but 40 foot is in good shape. The guy let me have it for $20.00 basicly becouse he just wanted it out of his yard. Hell of deal for me !!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Nobody has told me good score. I'm dissopointed. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

If it'll make ya' feel better I'll say it.

Good score.

Even if you only use the 40 feet that are good it'll get you up in the air pretty good.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Thanks. Honestly, I only wanted a 40 foot tower to begin with. 40 foot plus another (15 foot mast) 10 foot out the top of the tower, and a 24 foot antenna, should get it up there just fine. Hell 74 foot (Well lets figure 70 with mounts, even though it's be more like 72 or 73, let still call it 70) from the tip of the antenna to the ground should do me real good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Yup. Unless you are in a crater or something 40-50 feet is normally plenty of tower to reach out and touch someone.

all you need to do now is get a rotor and slap some beams on it

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Already working on that. A guy I know has a couple brand new, still in the box, never been opened, PDL2 beam antennas. I'm trying to get him to sell me one of them. By the way, I'm already up on a hill. So this tower will really do it for me !!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Cool /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    What type of tower is it? Rohn? Sounds like a good price.
    Hope you dont mind heights. Climbing a 40+ foot tower is not much fun when you have to haul up tools and an antenna /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

You really dont need a tall mast on the tower, just mount your vert on top that will reduce windload leverage on the tower. Need to remember, if your running a ground plane antenna the radiation angle is going to be around +30 degrees from horizontal. Going really high on a vert doesnt buy much except reduce the brewster angle relfection. Now with a beam, thats a different story. U need 2 upgrade and get ur ticket so u can work DX on the real bands /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Couldn't tell you a name brand. It came off a closed down Army base. Can't say how the guy I bought it from obtained it sence nobody can leaglly go on the old base. Still got alot of burried stuff on (or should I say in) the grounds. Link to where my 60 foot tower came from

9. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Still...the price was right /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

How could I pass it up for $20.00 ??? So what if some of it isn't perfectly strait. Yes, I do need to straiten some of the good sections, but it's nothing that wouldn't stand as it is. I'll only be straitening for apperance. When the Army took it down to get thier antenna, they unbolted the base and let it fall over. It's nothing I can't fix by spending alittle time with the torch and hammer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

That should make you real popular with your neighbors...

John

PS Are you going to put a little red blinking light on top of it?

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    That should make you real popular with your neighbors...

John

PS Are you going to put a little red blinking light on top of it?

[/ QUOTE ] Won't need a blinking light. Not in any flight path, and won't be high enough. Don't think the neighbors will care one way or another. As it is I'm not bleeding over on anyone, and the higher you get the antenna, the less likely it'll bleed over on the neighbors TV, Phones, stereos, ...ect.

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Hell, even if they do complain, just tell 'em to cram up their arse or challenge them to a duel! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I don't think anyone will complain. Most of my neighbors are in thier 20's and 30's. I've found that most of the complainers are usely 60+ years of age. Seams like younger people don't really give a sh*t what you do, and the older folks just wanta stick thier noses into everything. My landlord already okayed it befor I moved the house into this trailer court. I do things for him like keeping an eye on the well pump house. Befor I moved out here they had a problem with kids messing with it in the middle of the night. I've ran a few off at the end of last summer. Haven't had an issue with that sence. So I think the landlord likes me. When I lived up in the other trailer court befor I moved my house to this one, my neighbors we're 90% retired folks. The b*tch right next door was really bad. She complained about anything and everything. The manager up there was a total a$$hole !!!!!!! He never liked me becouse I have long hair and wouldn't kiss his a$$. He watched everyone like a hawk. Made up all kinds of bullsh*t rules. He had serous controle issues !!!!! Out here, the landlord doesn't even drive through the grounds unless ya call him about something. All he cares about is that you pay your rent, and keep your yards watered and mowed durring the summer. Other then that, you can basicly do anything you want within reason.

15. chevyracing

Paul,
    I have a portable mig welder, a portable pipe bender, and a real nice 6.5 cubic foot cement mixer. When I come up there for sturgis do you want me to bring those with me. Maybe we can get it going, a pad poured at least. Let me know....

John

16. chevyracing

[ QUOTE ]
    I do things for him like keeping an eye on the well pump house. Befor I moved out here they had a problem with kids messing with it in the middle of the night. I've ran a few off at the end of last summer. Haven't had an issue with that sence.

[/ QUOTE ]

What did you do, show them that picture of you with the pistol standing in that field. (minus the hat of course) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

A 4x4 coming acrost a field fairly fast tends to scare off the kids fawkin' with sh*t they're not suposta, LOL.

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Paul,
    I have a portable mig welder, a portable pipe bender, and a real nice 6.5 cubic foot cement mixer. When I come up there for sturgis do you want me to bring those with me. Maybe we can get it going, a pad poured at least. Let me know....

John

[/ QUOTE ] Not going to pour any concreat. Just going to bolt it to the deck and the house. Don't think need any other stuff. I'm just going to heat it up with a torch and pound it strait. Everything bolts together.

19. chevyracing