Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bought a truck from a small town dealership... what to do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Oct 5, 2006.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Well, I took the Yukon in for an oil change and inspection yesterday, about one week after purchase. After a thorough inspection, we found the lower ball joints to be bordering on unsafe, the driver side front sway bar link end is missing, and the rear axle seals are leaking. If I had purchased the truck from anyone off the street, I would expect a few things to be "undisclosed" for the sale, just so the guy could get rid of it.... but I bought this from a dealership. The guy has the standard dealer inspection sheet on the truck, with everything marked as "good" or "legal", and no mention of any of the problems I listed above. In Wisconsin, dealer inspections have to be done by a certified mechanic/ASC Certified shop. In this case, I'm not sure of the guy's qualifications, but he's the dealer's "friend". The Records Inspector (the guy that signs off on the inspection sheet after the inspection) is the dealer's brother.

The truck was sold to me "As Is", but I was assuming that everything on the inspection sheet was accurate when I agreed to the "As Is" condition. Like I said, if it were some jackass off the street selling his truck, I wouldn't care, but this is a dealership, so what do you guys think I should do? There's a Lemon Law in Wisconsin, but I don't know if it applies to used (1994) vehicles, or only newer vehicles. I am thinking of just going to the guy, showing him his inspection sheet and my inspection sheet, and telling him he's gotta pay for at least the labor for getting these things fixed, since they were obviously existing problems.

Need your suggestions, thanks guys.

2. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

take the problem to him with the expectation that he will not agree to fix it. also let him know how far you are willing to go to make sure a "wrong" gets "righted". in california we have the "bureau of automotive repair" which surprisingly looks into most complaints. if they showed you an inspection sheet as part of the purchase, yet the inspection sheet was falsified, they are responsible for the repairs. period!! you may have to take the matter to court though as most small dealers where the brother or friend is the inspector, usually arent going to be willing to do the right thing. just be prepared, let him know how far you will take it, and DONT show that you are upset when he says "no". just calmly tell him that you will fight him on it since you have a copy of the inspection that he claimed to have completed.

3. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

One week/ How many miles? Check with the BBB for consumer laws in your state. Under Ohio Law you would have a good small claims case. The item you purchased even sold as is was represented to be in the stated condition. Also in Ohio I would consult the states Attorney General to investigate the dealer as to selling an unsafe vehicle. I believe you might classify as fraud because he is selling it as one condition and it is significantly different.

Good luck.

4. Metrodps

" since you have a copy of the inspection that he claimed to have completed." Jp

Yea on a thought take copies to the guy so he can't rip them up might be a jag off on it.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

better yet, take in the copy, keep your original for court if need be.

6. Metrodps

ummm I thought I said that but might not of been clear.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

eh, i guess you did. i guess that's what i get for trying to read and talk on the phone at the same time.

8. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

go burn his dealership down in the middle of the night.

take it back. if hes got good customer service, he will take care of you. if not, fight it as far as you have to go. who knows how many other people he has screwed like this...

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

our laws...

In MA,the law states a new owner MUST get a new inspection sticker within 7 days of the purchase date..if the selling price was over 700 bucks,the "Lemon Law" applies to used vehicles as well as new..any vehicle failing to pass safety or emission inspections is eligible for a full refund within 30 days,unless the bill of sale states it was for parts,repair,or restoration..

(now you know why I hate selling any vehicles I owned ,to anyone but the crusher!--they can beat the piss out of it for a month,then say "you sold me a peice of junk"...and by law your forced to buy it back,and now it IS a peice of crap!.:doah: )

I'd say you probably should have looked a lot closer before you bought it--but you still have a good chance of getting your money back,or at least a reduced price to offset the repairs needed..sounds like it should have failed a preliminary inspection before resale ,with broken sway bar links and loose ball joints..:crazy:

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Save yourself a headache. If he gives you any flack, kneecap the bastard that sold it to you and fix it.