Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bought herculiner, any tips?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75, Apr 1, 2003.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Ok since I seem to do thing's wrong the first time, I am going to try and spare myself by asking for tips first. I love that price right now too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

This should keep me busy, I'm doing this and the disk breaks while desert dueler sets up my front gears!, Well off to remove my front axel /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

follow the directions, and put it on real thick, mine is peeling off cuz i didnt it when it was rainy, and cold out, so i had to be inside my truck with all the windows up and doors shut, and i think the coldness caused condensation, but you live down there in AZ i guess that wouldnt be a problem, Just put it on real real thick, i dont think you can go too thick.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

tips:

1) work only in a WELL ventilated area... xylene and herculiner are not safe to use in an enclosed or semi-enclosed spaces.

2) wear gloves and nasty work clothes you dont care about, herculiner REALLY sticks to your skin and its VERY hard to get off of things.

3) spend a lot of time and be very careful about your prep work. Bedliners (spray or roll on) are only as good as the prep work that goes into them. Herculiner is the kind thing you want to do right the first time, since its a PITA to get off once its on. The directions that come with the kit tell you everything you need to know about prep work, just follow em and you'll be golden.

4) make sure to mask off body-mount bolt heads, drain plug caps, and anything else you dont want 'lined... the roller isnt exactly a precision instrument, if you dont mask it, most likely it will get coated!

5) apply atleast 2 good coats of the stuff over the entire area you plan on lining... and then ad a 3rd to high-wear/high-use areas.

6) between coats, keep the roller bagged up securely, once the stuff dries to the roller, said roller is completely useless. If you do end up needing another one, go to home depot, they are an off-the-shelf item.

7) go to the hardware store and buy 2-3 super-el-cheapo small paint brushes (i used ones whos bristles were about 1" wide). these come in really handy for getting in little nooks/crannys that the roller wont fit into very well.

8) if you dont normally... use those cheap plastic liners for your roller pan. Herc dried on a roller pan = bad times.

thats all i can think of for now... good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

4. jekbrown

good call man... when i did mine it was really warm, august I think. I let it cure a day or so between coats and in the mean time it roasted/cured in the sun. Guess it helped, other than a part of the tailgate that I did crappy prep on, my herc hasnt peeled at all.

j

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

on't get any on your hootus..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

So, what did you wind up paying? Idiots at Checkers can't get their story straight. Called and confirmed 39.99 each for the "kit". Said no individual gallons available. Wound up at a different Checker, they should all be the same right? They only have "kits" and it's 89.99 "on sale". Claim Duplicolor was 39.99 and went of the 28th. Call first store again. Now THEY say 89.99 for the kit, but I can get "just the paint" for 29.99 a gallon! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I'm about ready to go postal. I'm going to drive down to the one I talked to and if they don't have it for 29.99 a gallon, I will not be accountable for my actions! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

I bought some today, 79.99 plus $20 mail in rebate, they didn't have a damn form for the rebate yet! They advertise it, but don't even have the damn form.

8. Silver84k5

[ QUOTE ]
    tips:

1) work only in a WELL ventilated area... xylene and herculiner are not safe to use in an enclosed or semi-enclosed spaces.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea i forgot to mention that, when i did it with all my windows up and doors closed and the space heater inside, I got high as hell, a few beers and some serious huffing will get you loopy real quick, Its not too bad when your at your peak but when you come down it sucks ;P... plus im sure it isnt too good for you brain.

9. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

PREP,PREP,PREP,PREP AND MASK,MASK,MASK,MASK,
    The idiot previuos owner of mine sprayed it in and it is all over my lower dash, glove box, and everywhere else.
    Prep it good, mine is peeling off from no prepping. My personal suggestion is get some red Scothbrite pads and rough up the paint to make sure you get a good stick. You can get Scotchbrite pads at anywhere that carries auto paint. If not then use some 120 grit sand paper. Just scuff the paint till it doesn't shine anymore, that way you know that the clear coat has been removed/ cut deep enough for the liner to get a good grip in the sand grooves.

Just my 2 cents /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im ganna do the bed of my truck..the cab..and the lower portion of the ouside...and paint the rest red! should look good@!

11. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

If your prepping a big area is there an easier way to prep than just using a small Scotchbrite pad? Some way to get a large flat area done right and not take to long.

12. Silver84k5

i was using a drill with a wire brush thing on it, not the wire wheel, but the Cone looking brush thing..... seemed to Take the paint off more then scuff it up, so i dunno if thats good or not, maybe somone will jump in and tell us.

13. jekbrown

yeah, they have various attachments for drills. I'd just go to home depot and pick one out that looks softer than a wire brush... oughta work. I pretty much used the pad on my rig, and it worked well. It took time, but believe me, whatever you do, DONT skimp on the prep work. Prep is 95% of the job with herc... any fool can roll the stuff on. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

14. BadDog

If a wire brush takes the paint off, your better off without it there... The herc will work fine on bare metal from what I've heard/read...

15. VirginiaBulldog

VirginiaBulldog Registered Member

darn somebody beat me to the hootus /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. BadDog

Hmmm, might want to think about rewording that. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. BadDog

Forgot to update this last night.

Well, I went to the one that priced it to me on the phone for $39.99 for a kit. Sure enough, big display "ON SALE" at 89.99 a kit. Oh, and the $29.99 a gallon I was quoted on the phone, turned out to be for a quart. Asked about $79.99 and $20 rebate. 2 of the nitwits (one a manager) told me flat out, there is no other sale. The even "looked it up in the computer" separately. I looked in their sale paper but didn't see an add. Pay 89.99 (which the manager helpfully informed me was a "great price that I wouldn't beat") or walk. Guess what I did?

Just for grins, went to another nearby Checkers, same story. $89.99 is the sale price, pay it or leave it...

I did take a sale paper and spotted the add later, $79.99 with $20 rebate. Arghhhh... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

18. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

Buy an "Undercoating gun" from your local el cheapo parts from taiwan place and SHOOT the Herculiner on. The undercoater can handle the thick stuff, sprays in a pattern and lays a nice coat down. (Gun was under $30 I want to say)

My dad, who painted cars for a living, has now "painted" Herculiner in 3-4 truck beds and will be doing interior of my Jimmy soon. Herculiner DOES officially support this, dad talked with the 'tech support' guy at Herculiner for 10-20 minutes and they told him everything he could want to know.

Buy Xylene (I think, check the site for sure) to clean the gun out afterwards. Dad also shot the Herculiner on his lower doors/rocker panels and then painted OVER it to give his truck a nice "factory undercoat" look!

Beats the HECK outta rolling and no stinkin kit required!

Sam Hinton

19. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Buy an "Undercoating gun" from your local el cheapo parts from taiwan place and SHOOT the Herculiner on. The undercoater can handle the thick stuff, sprays in a pattern and lays a nice coat down. (Gun was under $30 I want to say)

My dad, who painted cars for a living, has now "painted" Herculiner in 3-4 truck beds and will be doing interior of my Jimmy soon. Herculiner DOES officially support this, dad talked with the 'tech support' guy at Herculiner for 10-20 minutes and they told him everything he could want to know.

Buy Xylene (I think, check the site for sure) to clean the gun out afterwards. Dad also shot the Herculiner on his lower doors/rocker panels and then painted OVER it to give his truck a nice "factory undercoat" look!

Beats the HECK outta rolling and no stinkin kit required!

Sam Hinton

[/ QUOTE ]
    Is he thinning it out with anything? I have 2 gallons sitting here waiting for me to get around to it. I like the idea of spraying it to get a better end result.

20. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

WOW! Thanks guys, geez that is alot of post, I think I will just roll it, and use a painting tray. The advice is great, it is always nice to know every thing before you start something, hmm that would have been nice to know everything before I started on the blazer project too, I still wish I knew every thing, well I will just pretend /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks again, you guys are like a great family, but you didn't disown me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif