Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bought JY Q-jet, runs then dies???????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79ChevySB, Oct 4, 2002.

1. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

Picked up a Q-jet out of the JY. I started up the truck and it ran great for about 30 seconds then it died, like someone reached in and turned the ignition key off. It started right back up again and this time I keep my foot on the pedal and I caught it as it was trying to die, it sputtered for gas then died. I know Im getting fuel, but does anyone know what would cause this carb to just die so quickly?

Thanks

2. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Maybe a plugged fuel filter, if the carb has been sitting for a while it could be full junk.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yup could be junk in the float bowl too. When the motor dies all the fuel is now free from presure so the 'junk' floats. Fire it up and the junk now gets sucked into the whirlpool and plugs it up.
    Just a guess ofcoarse /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Good Luck

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You might want to make sure the choke is working correctly before ripping the carb apart.

They certainly do accumulate crud when they go dry, and it turns powdery and moves around freely, so adding gas would allow it to be sucked into any port being used. Just check your choke first, and replacing the filter isn't tough nor a bad idea if you haven't already.

5. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

I have heard that Q-jets are a real pain in the ass to rebuild, is this true? I havent done one before and Im curious to find out. Thanks.

6. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

The q-jet is one of the easy ones to rebuild the kit comes with good instructions in a step by step guide.The only thing that you will have to look at that some kits dont tell you is the well plugs under the fule bowl all I have done is put a little jb weld on them let it sit over night and put it back together. The last time I ran across the run and die thing,this carb also sat awile was the film in the bowl got in the main jets and pluged them up. hops this helps!Some one said to check the choke do make sure it is open when hot. mike m

7. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

Do recommond any rebuild kits over others? This would be my first rebuild and I would like a good set of instructions.
    Yes this carb did sit for awhile, so Im sure I'll find all kinds of neat stuff in the bowl.
    Thanks!
    Travis

8. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

on the casting on drivers side of the carb there is a # that you need to get off the carb you need this to identify the type you have.I had got my last kit from napa it was somewere around 15 or 20 dollars.You also will need some good carb cleaner.I use a gallon can of chem dip you can get this at most auto stores it comes with a basket to put the small parts in,Just rember not to put rubber in there it will swell real bad!I take the basket out for the bigger parts.Inside there is two main jets a float and needle and seat a ball for the pump and the meatering rods.You can do it just take your time and look and compare all the gaskets that come off your carb.let me know how it turns out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif mike