Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bought lost the Blazer bringing it home.

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Sandman, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I pulled my rig out of storage and was taking it home. As far as I can tell the big zip ties that I use to hold the chain tighteners on broke on the front. Went over a few bumps and it started rocking on the suspension and sliding around. I quickly pooped my pants and pulled over.

I might re-think it in the future.

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Oops! I am always afraid of that, so I usually wrap slack chain around the binder. BTW how have you been?

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Do you have any pics of your chaindown setup? I'd be curious to see what failed.

4. grendel

grendel 1/2 ton status

This is why I always run locking rachet straps.

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I quickly pooped my pants and pulled over.

[/ QUOTE ]
    There's not a whole lot that I read and actually laugh out loud, but you've done just that. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

As for the tie-down setup, good to hear you caught it before something bad happened.
    Since you said you saw it rocking on the suspension, I assume you tie down on the frame. I thought the general consensus was to tie down the axles and let the suspension cycle. Is there something I'm missing here, or do you just prefer it the other way?

6. Sandman

I ussually wrap the cain also but the binder was too high and the chain slipped off. I was in a real hurry to get back to work so I did s sloppy job.

I'm doing well. Finally pulled the Blazer out of storage. Still has the red dust from Moab all over it. I'm already hacking the body. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Sandman

I ussually do tie to the axle but in this case I was really under the gun for time and did a sloppy job. Teaches me. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Everybody I know straps down by the axles and lets the suspension do it's thing. The trailer my bud lets me use has all chain and chain tightenter. He has a bunch of straps that go around the axle then do a X with the chains on the front to prevent side to side movement with the axle. So the same at the rear. Never had a problem and all my buds that tow do the same.

With a lanky tall truck it's damn near impossible to strap down by the frame. Hit a hard enough bump and it will get slack and drop off.

9. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

#1. RATCHET STRAPS!!! I spent $100 on a nice set of HD ratchet straps that do great at holding my rig on the trailer.

#2. ALWAYS go to the axle... just let the body swing around and bobble along for the ride!

Yikes... I sure wouldn't want to imagine MY K5 jumping around on the trailer at speed! Thats rough! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

-Dan

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    #1. RATCHET STRAPS!!! I spent $100 on a nice set of HD ratchet straps that do great at holding my rig on the trailer.

#2. ALWAYS go to the axle... just let the body swing around and bobble along for the ride!

Yikes... I sure wouldn't want to imagine MY K5 jumping around on the trailer at speed! Thats rough! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

-Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, but WHY #2?

For the Moab trip, I put two straps per axle diagonally to hold the truck in place. Then I used the trailer-mounted front winch to pull down the suspension by securing it to the front recovery point. I used a heavy duty ratchet strap to squat-down the rear suspension the same way.....

I'd heard that controlling all that "bobbling" should help make the towing easier, with less weight transferring around?

Maybe I'm missing something more obvious??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I know a bunch of guys that tow for a living with rollbacks and car trailers and I have seen and heard many opinions on this subject. Some guys don't like the extra movement of the vehicle so they pull down on the suspension. Others think is no big deal to let the suspension do its job (seems to be the general opinion here).

I personally don't like my big ole' blazer to be moving around, so I do a little of both. I "X" two chains from the rear of the truck hooked to the rear of the trailer (LH axle tube outboard of springs to right side of trailer and viceversa) and pull the truck forward to tighten. Then I wrap a chain through the front of the leaf springs and pull down (TIGHT) with a chain binder. Works real well, never has come loose and never moves (ask Mister Fox, he used same method on my trailer to BB03).

12. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I used this method with James's trailer and it worked great, the UAV never moved and was very stable. If I was going around a corner at 75 MPH I don't think I would want the Blazer to sway etc. compounding the the problem in the turn.

13. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I think the key to this meathod is to compress the springs to the axles at the same time chain the axles to the trailer. If the chain between the frame and axle comes loose you dont loose the truck off of the trailer.

I dont like the idea of chaining the frame to the trailer because *IF* it was to compress a little more on a big bump the chains could come undone and loose your truck.

Others I have heard from like to chain the axles down then use ratchet straps over the body to compress the springs. Your main holding power is the chains holding the axles and nothing should come off the trailer.

14. Sandman

Ussually I run a chain fron one side of the trailor to the other side and around the axle. I do like to compress the front suspension some and I do this with the winch. It does help it from bouncing around in bumps.

Its getting lighter right now. I've already skinned out the fenders and I'm cutting up the radiator support now. I might saw down the hood this weekend if I have the time. I'm working out a way to taper in the rear as well. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I deal with auto transporters (i.e. semis) all of the time at work. All of the ones I see attach the chain and/or straps to the vehicle frame.....however they usually have heavy duty built in ratchets or winches so they can completely compress the suspension of the vehicle.

For recreational use the typical ratchet straps or chain binders don't have enough power to compress the suspension, so it's safer to bind down the vehicle by the axles. Almost all of the guys in my club tie down by the axles.

16. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

were you pickin your rig up to check those tires for me??? i would have felt really bad if you'd a totalled your rig doood.
    ps i use a few rolls of duct tape and it works every time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I used this method with James's trailer and it worked great, the UAV never moved and was very stable. If I was going around a corner at 75 MPH I don't think I would want the Blazer to sway etc. compounding the the problem in the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you ought to reconsider cornering at 75MPH while towing that sexy rig of yours Steve! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Really though... I trailered the rig from Chicago to Little Rock earlier this year - 14hrs one way. I only strapped the axles, figuring that I didnt want to compress my suspension for such a long time.

I once parked my truck crossed up (flexed) in a ditch for 8 hours at work. For the next three to four weeks it sat crooked. I really don't want to imagine what kind of horrors a long road trip with the springs COMPRESSED would do to them in the long term either. Expecially for folks with really soft springs. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Just my .02 really Greg. Judging from the responses above, looks like either way is acceptable, I just chose the method that is easier on my suspension.

-Dan

18. Sandman

I sure was! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I plan on getting the pics up on my site this evening for you. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

19. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

i will throw my 2 cents in /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

when i went to moab and brought aj_tatted's blazer home, i hooked up to the axles with chains and binders, i usually use ratchet straps and axle straps but someone relieved me of them out of the toolbox, anyway...
    he said, "we need to compress the suspension also" me "why, it will be allright" but he insists so we get out some ratchet straps and come along and tie to the frame also, after a few hours, for some reason we decided to take off the compression on the suspension, and just leave the axles chained down, and we couldn't tell any difference in the way it towed with the suspension released, which is the way i usually trailer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif