Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bought the MSD 6AL and other stuff.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Feb 28, 2007.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ok so after reading all yalls posts on my thread of The Right MSD Ignition....
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199029

I bought one..... we will see how it works for me...

now the question... the guy didnt really give any good info like part numbers or anything... just on the AL...
    can anyone identify the other 2 and if I can use them or not?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MSD-6AL-MSD-Coil-MSD-Timing-Control_W0QQitemZ290086586483QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33691QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thanks
    Jeff

p.s. I just posted about the procomp hei distributors on ebay too... no one has replied.. im wondering if one of these would be a good choice for me too......

lemme know..
    Thanks
    Jeff

2. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

from what it looks like tahts a rev limiter or timing computer. and the box with white plug in thingys are like for diff rpm levels...(summit catalog) lol im bored. i looked at those dists and i dont see why they would be a bad deal. even for spare parts its cheaper than buyin the stuff individually.

3. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

you got a really good deal.....if i was you i would buy a msd pro billet dist. (I think thats the name) without hei....i ran a mallory 6al and never really got the performance out of it that i could have if i had the right dist....spend the extra money you saved on picking up that fine piece and buy a good dist and run the blaster 2 coil...oh and if you ever get hit by that thing it is rough trust me i know i got hit by one once!!!

4. twoslo4five0

here is a good one at jegs....looks like this...and its simple plug and play with your ignition...

dist.jpg

5. RootBreaker

I was wondering about the coil.... so what is the benefit of that coil over the coil that is under my cap?

also the msd pro billet dist is the only one? or is there different flavors?
    I need specifics as I dont know much about this stuff... All I do know is my truck runs like crap lately and im trying to get all this stuff situated.... :bow:

6. RootBreaker

hah you beat me to it... ya posted before I got to ask... :haha:

also that other box looks like this...

[​IMG]

less the knobb... I emailed the dude for the part numbers... if that is it.. do I need it?
    is it useful? his didnt show the knobb though.. could buy if needed

7. twoslo4five0

if i was you i would just run the 6al and the blaster 2 coil...the other box is a timing control for a race car....i think i retards timing at low rpm to adjust timing for nitros..i think but im not sure any way get a good dist,run the 6al and the blaster 2 coil...oh yeah buy some good wires too...i dont know what your motors like but i would run blue max wires...the bigger the better...more spark=more power or more power when you need it..just my .02...

8. twoslo4five0

oh and mount your msd 6al inside the cab of the truck...ive always wanted to mount it in the glove box...keep it somewere it can stay dry...it can get a lil wet but i wouldnt suggest it getting soaked just to be on the safe side...

9. RootBreaker

well he replied...
    Timing is 8680
    6al is 6420
    Coil is 8202

yeah most likely dont need the timing deal.. gonna re-ebay it...

I dont have the extra $200 for the distributor....
    what is the main difference of running the external coil vs my internal? they do sell a replacement one for my cap.....

just curious...

10. RootBreaker

msdignition does list the ignition part for 4x4 too...this is what it says...

Adjustable Timing Control,
    PN 8680
    The MSD Adjustable Timing Control puts you in control of your ignition timing - from the driver's seat! A dash mounted control knob allows you to adjust the ignition timing to compensate for changes in altitude, low octane gas, or heavy loads. For cars driven every day but raced occasionally on the weekends, this control is perfect. Increased fuel mileage and performance are just some of the benefits as the ignition timing can be advanced or retarded to prevent engine detonation.
    The control knob mounts to the dash board for easy and accurate timing adjustments up to 15°. The Control can be used on 4, 6 and 8-cylinder engines and must be used with an MSD Ignition Control.

11. twoslo4five0

i couldnt tell you exactly what the problem with hei is but it has something to do with higher revs...i think the hei looses the spark strength (im prolly wrong) over a certian rpm...i would just wait and buy a good dist if i was you ...its like buiding a dana 60 to the max without a locker...you get my drift...

12. RootBreaker

ehh im a redneck...
    i put a detroit, 4.56's, rebuild kit in my front d60.. but still using the factory 1979 gmc front dynomatic hubs (big round part you turn...) and no 35 spline outters... :haha:

I gotcha though... will take some time to get the cash up though....:doah:

13. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Classically the OE HEI modules start to loose dwell angle above ~4k RPM. At least that is what happened with those that MISF & I tested. The lone performance aftermarket module we tested did not.

Other than being a power hog, the HEI is a good system. My biggest concern with the coil in the cap is over-heating it. In an all stock system I wouldn't have any such worries as I'm sure that GM tested that. Once you put a non-stock part in the system, all of their testing goes out the window.

I am currently converting one (two actually, need a spare) 2.8l HEI's to drive an MSD 6 Off Road (Not my choice) for Jav's S-10 desert race truck by omitting the module & using the existing HEI pick-up coil & reluctor to drive the MSD.

The only real advantage I can see to the billet dizzy's, other than bling which I could care less about, is that they are stiffer. That means better timing accuracy. But face it, 4x4 engines are not usually set on 'kill', a 1 degree varience in cylinder to cylinder timing isn't going to hurt anything. Even with the billet dizzy you've still got the oil pump harmonics doing all sorts of crazy things to the individual cylinder timing, at least unless you went to a dry sump system.