Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bounce Check Fee

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigbluesuburban, Jul 4, 2006.

1. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

I haven't bounced a check in a long long time. But due to a major balance and transfer blunder on my part at the end of last week I was horrified to see that I 'bounced' two items. It was not so much the bouncing that bothered me directly, it is the FEE... Now like I said, I have not bounced a check in a long time and if I remember correctly the fee back then was like $20. Well not anymore. My fee was $58 per item for a total of $116 BUCKS.

WOW!!! that is all I can think of to say. I hope that when I go to the bank tomorrow morning and explain my situation and present my flawless bank history they will return those fees as a gesture of good faith.

Now don't get me wrong. If there is a financial mistake to be made... I have made it at least once in my life. So I am no newcomer to financial havok.

My question is this. Is this a normal fee for a bounced item? I remember hearing people say something like $30 and I was amazed at that.

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

30 bucks for my bank, and another 20 dollar fee if the moneys not there within so long (if they pay it)

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Y'all remember that line from "Lethal Weapon 2" about the drive-in??????????

"They **** you with the bounced check fees."

:D :D :D

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

mine 33 for the "bounce" and 5 per day til it is current, but with my history i use to bounce it monthy, now with the new job I have over $200 a month left over...which equals truck parts,LOL

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

dont hold your hand over your a$$ on getting your money back.

but yes around hear most i have seen is 35. 25-30 average price.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

$30 here from the bank, then another $30 or so from the company the check bounced with...:doah:

$58 seems awefully high IMO.

Rene

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

20 bucks for me

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

$58 sounds a bit high, but the person that you wrote it to may have run it through twice. Its also a sure bet that you signed up for that raping.

9. bigbluesuburban

It appears that each transaction went through once, and each was paid. I am usually good about reading the fine print, but then again I was NOT planning on having any financial issues due to my current financial situation. This whole thing is going to be a PIA I can feel it. I am going to have to waste time going to the bank, arguing with them about this and blah blah blah. I think I may just rectify the situation by transferring/depositing the necessary money that I screwed up at the end of last week.

I guess its a $116 lesson in remembering to double check the account numbers.

I have always said that I am excellent at what I do for a living, but I am a terrible bookkeeper.

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

wouldnt know, never let the account get that low.

11. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You can always set up overdraft protection, this will minimize any fee's there might be. Usually there is a $5.00 fee if you need the overdraft protection, alot less than the fee you're dealing with now.

I have had my checking account since 1992 and have NEVER bounced a check EVER. Mistakes do happen but they haven't happened to me YET. :D

12. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm with WellsFargo and I think it's something in the $30 range for bounced checks. They are really cool about it though if you call them, you don't even have to explain why but if you give them a ring for one it's a real American person who you can understand (don't we all love talking to Europe on hold for an hour) and they have always taken care of us. Just give them a ring, the worst they could say is no.

-Avery

13. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

You need a higher overhead.

14. bigbluesuburban

My bank sucks ass!!!

I went in today to talk to them about the whole situation. I took all my records and showed them where I had made the mistake and admitted to the mistake and then asked them if since I have a long standing flawless relationship with them, would they return the fees.

The lady I was talking to went into a long diatribe about how much it cost the bank to process customer transactions that are overdrawn, also explains to me how it is my responsiblity to take care of my account and is just all around rude and perhaps even a little disrespectful.

I try to maintain my composure and let her say what she has to say. And I sheepish request that even though I am a moron and I am completly at fault perhaps the bank could be merciful to me and offer me this one tiny bit of assistance with my financial blunder.

At this point she sighs really big and taps her finger on the desk. In my mind I am thinking WTF is this all about. Am I really getting attitude from a bank ho? Well then she goes and does it. She raises her eyebrows and in the most condecending tone says, "I can do that, but I need to know that you will not allow this type of error to occur again"

Now listen, I am generally a decent guy. I get wound up about certain things and I can, when necessary, jump knee deep in someone ass. I also have a major allergic reaction to the condition known as BITCH. And apparently she is a carrier. When she said that to me. I just about lost it.

I do not think that it would be appropriate to spell out everything I said to her. But suffice it to say that my banking relationship with that branch, adn perhaps that bank is over.

This is not the first issue I have had with them where I was at the recieving end of a lecture and some attitude, but this is the first time that I let my account get away from me.

So needless to say, I am looking for a new bank.

15. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

So, did they refund the fees?:D

16. bigbluesuburban

uh.... NO (those dirty bastards) :doah:

17. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

Join a credit union, They tend to be a bit more liberal.

18. bigbluesuburban

Good Idea!!! I will look into that.

19. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Banks suck anyway. You should have left them. No call for that. Shows how much they appreciate their customers. I'd definitely write a letter to someone higher up and let them know why you have left.

My bank charges me a $1 if I use another bank's ATM!!!! Now I don't have a problem if the other bank wants to charge me. I'm using their ATM and I have no account with them so to me that's reasonable. BUT when MY bank charges me for using another banks ATM that burns me up! That doesn't cost them a dime, it is just someones idea of another way to scarf money off of their customers. If they don't want me using another banks ATM then go to that area or city and put in a freakin ATM!!!! :mad: Dave Ramsey says "there's a reason why the tallest buildings in your city are owned by banks".

Did I mention banks suck!!

20. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Credit Union or a local bank- if you can find a local bank that hasn't been bought out. I used to use a local bank before it was bought by one of the mega-banks. Now I use a credit union. (Two, actually).