Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bouncy hood

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ErikH, Aug 4, 2001.

1. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

It seems that even after replacing the rubber stripping along the hood braces, the center of my hood still likes to bounce/flex... noticeable even on moderately bumpy streets.

Does anyone have a fix for this?

Erik

2. tshiko

tshiko Registered Member

I think that it's a problem with Reproduction hoods. Every restored Blazer/P'up I've driven had this problem. I drove an unrestored 71 yesterday and its hood was still. The hood felt stiffer, it probably used a higher gage steel than the repos you can buy today. Any other opinion out there?

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I believe that my hood is original (has baby-poop paint under the current paint job) and it does the jell-o thing more than I'd like. The design of the bracing under the hood leaves MUCH to be desired.

4. blazerman

blazerman Registered Member

My 72 is also unrestored, and my hood shakes a lot more than I want it to.

5. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

Before I took my '71 apart, it had a 2x4 running under the peak of the hood that was held in place by two pieces of aluminum channel screwed to the supports. It never giggled at all. I always thought it was a joke, but several others who saw it said "what a great idea! So that’s the way to stop the hood from shaking!" Perhaps there is a market for a more elegant aluminum support designed to do the same thing...

6. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it sounds like the hood bounce is a bit common. I'm pretty sure the hood is original... I bought it from the original owner who said it had never been in an accident or required major repairs... plus the paint is evenly faded across the body.

Thanks for the responses.

7. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

Mine only shakes in the morning before the boggers warm up.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

The whole doghose on my '67 K/10 Suburban with 454 used to dance like a GO GO girl, especially above 80 mph. A mechanic said it needed new engine mounts (with some rubber still left in them.) Hood hinge springs may also have been a factor. Also the differential used to sing: "The wabbits are coming, la la , la la.The wabbits are coming da da , da da..." once it got into cruise mode on the freeway.That truck needs a lot of work now, but it's #3, behind the Pick-up and Jimmy projects.