Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'bout time to dump my K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by abusedtrucks, Jun 10, 2002.

1. abusedtrucks

abusedtrucks Registered Member

\'bout time to dump my K5

I was driving to the carwash the other day (about 10 miles). First it overheats. My fault, I didn't add enough anti-freeze after I blew my hose. Then I broke the front u-joint on my front driveshaft. I was in two wheel drive with the hubs unlocked. So I pulled over and took it off. I washed it up (after having to rewire the starter solenoid at the carwash since it wouldn't start), drove about two blocks and broke the front u-joint on the rear driveshaft. I couldn't get stopped quick enough so the rear u-joint went and my drive shaft went rolling down the road.

These u-joints had less than 100 miles on them. Maybe 10 minutes of off-road time on them. I figured out that in the past month that I have owned this thing, it has cost me over $5/mile to drive it, not including gas.

My Blazer has a 6" suspension lift and 35" Super Swampers. Any ideas on how to make it not so unreliable? I would like to actually drive this thing. If I can't drive it soon, she's getting traded off, along with my 95 Z71, for a 97 Wranger.

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Re: \'bout time to dump my K5

Driveline angles. Something needs to be done about angles. For u-joints to go that quick, theres something wrong there. Did you do anything as far as shims or lowering the t-case when you lifted it?

3. KPAX-5

KPAX-5 Registered Member

where can I get these shims to drop my transfer case? How much do they lower the TC?

BTW, are you parting out the K5, I am really in a need for a steering column.

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

You can get these "shims" <--- /forums/images/icons/smile.gif from your local hardware store. We call them washers /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Most guys take the spacers and move them from on top of the frame to under the frame which lowers the T-case about an inch...

Rene

6. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Seems like they wore out pretty fast, arent there lots of guys on here with 6" lifts that arent blowing out u-jonts all the time? maybe the u-joint wasnt tightend down all the way?

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I wouldn't ditch a truck over eating U-joints...

6" seems to be the magic number for driveline angle prob's though. You'll have to evaluate the driveline angles and see if they fall into the operating range of the U-joints. Obviously too steep an operating angle and they will grenade in no time. Ideally a CV shaft would be the hot ticket...but you need a fixed rear yoke to run one.

I'd drop the T-case down first and see if that helps any. Also if you have the little u-bolt style retainers do not over tighten them. The U-joint bearing cup will distort and the joint will fail prematurely.

Rene