Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bow Tie Overdrive

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 45acp, Jul 8, 2001.

1. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Has anyone installed one of these 700R4 transmissions in their truck? What did you think of it?

Bill Hughes

2. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

We have one in a 2wd pickup, and in a Z28. When they are working correctly, they can't be beat. Lowest auto 1st gear ratio and highest OD ratio so you can run the low axle gears.
    Plus they shift nice and firm.

I would recommend one of the TCI built units.

Lift It, Lock It, LIVE IT!!!

3. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

One of my friends had one put in his truck and LOVED it. I talked to Chris over there a couple of weeks ago, they are real easy to talk to and will answer any questions you have. Do a search on the last month under 700R4 and you should find a post inquiring about the same issue.

4. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Just curious, why would you recommend a TCI unit over the bowtie if you are pleased with it?

5. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yes, I have one in my '87 and love it! I took mine down to them BEFORE it died, as a precaution and had them build it like new (well, much better than new actually). I was very happy with the way it turned out, shifts nice and firm now. Also had a temp gauge installed at the time, and my gauge pretty much sits at 150 degrees...they also install a manual switch that you can control the lockup torque converter with, it really helps keep the temps down when towing or driving in a headwind, etc...

They did a great job and even installed my Megashifter for next to nothing as well. I would recommend them from my own experience.