Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bow your heads for a moment of silence......

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Blaze, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Everyone a moment of silence for....my 75 Firebird. I was out working on it today, putting my header glasspacks and new fuel line on it when I made a terrible discovery. Whoever owned the car before me patched the fuel line where the frame was rusted out and then made a fake frame out of BONDO. What posessed them to do this I'll never know. No the options are not so clear for good ole' Wombat Willy. Do I part out my first project? I want to keep him, so that is out of the question. Do I use my 78 Trans Am as a donor car for him? The 78 has a good tub, doors, and subframes - but that's about it. The 75 stuff will bolt right one it, plus I can get everything looking nice before I swap it onto the 78 body. What do you guys think?

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

use the 78. Sorry to hear that the previous owner was a dipshit. Most previous owners usually are.

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

how the he!! do you make a frame out of bondo??? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Use the 78 body, and take the 75 body and throw it on the front yard of the guy you bought it from. That would tick me off.

5. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Well, the frame wasn't made of bondo, just a small portion behind the fuel line about 2" square.

I would throw the body back at the lady I bought it from, but I think she's dead now. I bought the lien on the car off of a local dealer.

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I guess a little portion is okay, but your best bet is to replace the frail rails. They sell them new. Just alot of work though.

7. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Well, they only used a little BONDO, but underneath the frame is really bad. it is paper thin all the way down behind the fuel lines. It would probably be cheaper to just swap bodies because I was planning on using the rear quarter off of the 78 on my 75. Now I won't have to worry about it.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THE BONDO FRAME. I'D CONSITTER BUILDING A COMPLETE TUBE FRAME. THAT'LL MAKE IT STRONGER AND LIGHTER THEN THE FACTORY FRAME RAILS. ALSO GIVE YOU THE OPTION ON WHATEVER KIND OF REAR END YOU WANT. JUST THINK WHAT A INDEPENDENT REAR SUPENSION FROM A CORVETTE WOULD DO.

9. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Yeah, a tube frame would be cool, but also very $$$$. Since I already have the fairly rust-free body tub and frame, I think I'll stick with that. I'm probably going to take the 75 to where the 76 is now and bring the 76 to my house, then I can do some work on that before I get married and the work stops. Haha.

10. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

Hey man, out of the 3 Firebird/TA's i had(still have 2), two of them had bad rear rails. You know the only way to save it is to cut out the old and weld in new custom ones ($$$$$) /forums/images/icons/frown.gif since they arent actually rails, but actually part of the body. Good luck with whatever you decide on, and let me know what you end up doing.

Also, JEGS and possibly other Hypo companys carry already built coil sprung /forums/images/icons/smile.gif rear suspensions/rails. They are usually set up for tubbed cars though.... mmmmmm...Tubbed TA /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I've definitely decided on swapping the tubs and frames. I figured that way I can get around fixing the floor, frame, and rear quarter panel. All the parts will swap right off one onto the other, easy and cheap. I thought about the tube chassis, but I gotta save some money for my tow rig, a 77 El Camino! Gotta see if I can get some pics of it.

12. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I've definitely decided on swapping the tubs and frames. I figured that way I can get around fixing the floor, frame, and rear quarter panel. All the parts will swap right off one onto the other, easy and cheap. I thought about the tube chassis, but I gotta save some money for my tow rig, a 77 El Camino! Gotta see if I can get some pics of it.