Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bowflex -- anyone have/use/hate one of these things?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by shewheeler, Jul 17, 2003.

1. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

OK... so me and my fat ass have decided that it's time to do something to get into shape. I've had some surgeries that make it hard for me to use free weights or weight machines and I have been thinking that the Bowflex machines look like they might be just the ticket. I already sent away for their free informational video and it's basically just their infomercial on tape. I don't know anyone personally that has one and was hoping someone here could enlighten me. I just don't want to spend that much dough on something that is going to collect dust and give my spiders a new home /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

So, whaddya think?

Here is the model I'm looking at specifically.

Bowflex

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

There was a guy selling one of those on Pirate4x4 not that long ago and I think he was from Northern CA.... might see if it still there and close to you, because he probably is selling it for much less then brand new...

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Start checking the newpaper ads and garage sale adds. Those things are pretty pricey new, and just remember, it will take a while, but you will be selling it in a garage sale. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I have'nt used a Bowflex, but I've used a thing in p.t. that was kinda like it. I was gonna get hold of their tape also, my belly is at large, and I need to get rid of some of it.

Shewheeler, fill Us in if You find something out.

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I've dinked around with them at the store, they're kinda cool - they load the muscle in a different way than free weights, which can be helpfull. The springy-ness of it can take a little bit to get used to. It takes a bit more to control, and with some excersises that can be helpfull.
    Allthough, I don't think they (the Bow-Flex) have enough range of movement and that limits it's usefullness. There are other brands that have a higher range, and I think that would be better way to go.
    Also,they are a bit complicated to operate, levers, pullys, handles and seats are all adjustable. I imagine once you know what you are doing it wouldn't take much to set it up from one excersise to the next - but right out of the box, it's going to take some time to figure it out.
    (All that, with only a quick "look" at the unit on the show-room floor) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That said,
    All a person really needs is a good set of adjustable free weights. A Bar-Bell, A pair of Dumb-Bells, and a bench is all it takes. Cheep and easy, just the way I like it, /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.
    Just about everything out there is intended to duplicate free-weight movements - so whats the point ?

[ QUOTE ]
    I've had some surgeries that make it hard for me to use free weights or weight machines

[/ QUOTE ]
    I can think of at-least three free-weight excersises, for each muscle group. One of the three is sure to work around any injory.

I highly reccomend getting the book,
    Body For Life by Bill Phillips.
    For getting started, I don't think there is anything better. He explains diet and excersise. Covers what to do, when to do it and why. Plus, it'll help get you motivated to get you and your butt into shape. I've done it, I've had/helped others do it, and the end results is (are?) well worth the effort.

Feel free to P.M. if you or anyone else would like to know more, I'd be happy to help if I can.

6. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I don't get into machines but I do love martial arts based workouts. Tae Bo in particular. If you'd like to read my little story about weight loss & exercise, click here . It has been quite a journey! Good luck in whatever you choose.

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

WOW,good for you Andrea...... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. shewheeler

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't get into machines but I do love martial arts based workouts. Tae Bo in particular. If you'd like to read my little story about weight loss & exercise, click here . It has been quite a journey! Good luck in whatever you choose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome story! Unfortunately, Tae Bo and me didn't really hit it off too well. I have a very small living room and am not the most coordinated person. If I wasn't knocking nick-nacks off the table I was doubled over from laughing hysterically. After almost killing myself on several occasions, me and Billy parted ways. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

If anyone would like to purchase the entire set of Tae Bo tapes, let me know /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Well, at least you tried it! I also have a very small living room. I have to be very careful not to kick a child /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif or the cat, or the dog. But the stress relief of kicking/punching has been awesome. What tapes do you have? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif I did belong to a local gym for awhile. It was nice, but I have a hard time finding the time to go all the way across town with 3 kids in tow, if I don't have to! My experience with home machines has been that they make an excellent clothes hanger, but that is about all. I think the key to any exercise program is just committing to start. Once I push Play on that VCR I know I can get into it. Also online communities like this help a lot. I am on Tae Bo e-mail lists and that little bit of inspiration throughout the day. I also joined a Summer 100 Challenge thing. I like a good challenge. It's 100 workouts between June 1 and September 30th, and so far I'm right on track! It helps to be accountable to someone else sometimes. If I can help at all, let me know!

10. shewheeler

I think I have the first set that came out... it's like 3 or 4 tapes? When I worked swing shift, I would work out at the gym every day (even on the weekends), but I hurt my knee and ended up having to go to P.T. After that, I changed my hours at work and just never went back.

I have a treadmill that I wore out. I used it a lot and really liked it, but need something that's more of an overall work out. The treadmill is going to the Salvation Army next weekend, so I was looking to replace it with something. I'm still researching /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks for the input /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif