Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bowtie OD VS. GM Crate Trans *Poll*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I recently toasted my 4th 700R4 as some of you may have read. I am tired of swapping transmissions every year. (last summer and again this summer in AZ heat in my driveway). I want something that is going to last and I won't have to swap another one in next summer.

Specs: 350 SBC (mild), MSD igntion, true duals, K&N, NP208 case, 14bff & 10 bolt w/4.56's & locked, 35" tires, stacked plate trans cooler, trans temp gauge, and remote trans filter.

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1055575377Hossbaby50">

Tranmission options
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Bowtie Overdrive
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />GM Crate Transmission
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />Other (explain)
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

My thinkings:

Bowtie OD stage 2 or 3 (leaning toward 3) because it is rated to 600HP which I am nowhere near, and it should be unbreakable. Quick hard shifts.

GM Crate: 3yr/50K? warranty, granny shifts

Both transmissions should be about the same price ($1300-1400). What does everyone think and what would you do? Thanks

Harley

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear about you frying 4 trannys. I bet you are really good at changing them now though. What keeps breaking and causing the tranny to fail? Are you using the same shop for all the rebuilds?

Kris

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Saturn overdrive, maybe something from advance adaptor's would be of help. etc, etc,. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif With a good solid built TH400 in front of it.

Do You run a cooler, beside's the stock "fooler cooler"? ,Something like out of a backhoe? don't laugh, that's what I use, at any given time, I can stop and put my hand on the Trans. pan. cool.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

get an art carr or whatever it is that SW has in the green jimmy.. its survived his 468 and all kinds of wheelin carnage...

j

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Personally I dont think you need a stage 3 tranny for your uses. I think a 1 or 2 should be fine unless you are planning in entering your local NHRA drags or Mud bogging it. Quick hard shifts are great for the track in a light car. But for a 5k pound plus DD truck I would want something a little milder if you are interested in 700r4 trans longevity.
    Call Bow tie and see what they recomend for your driving style.
    Use the money you save to buy a good torque convertor. If you roasted your old tranny Do Not use the old convertor .You must also flush out the cooler good too before installing the new trans.

I see your rig is a 85. Do not get a replacement tranny unless it is a 88 or newer case.(Bo tie and GM are all the newer models). Its not even worth rebuilding pre 88 models.

The only experence I have with Bow tie is I recomended them to a friend who put one in his 3/4 ton 4x4 chev work horse. He bought a stage 1 and is very happy with it it is around 2 years old now and still works great.

The reason I recomend Bo tie over GM is you can get a stage 2 tranny plus the torque convertor for around the same price an the GM trans. Plus they give you very detailed instructions on TV valve adjustment which is critical to long life in a 700

6. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

i go with jek about art karr. they are great tranny, alittle on the pricey side but will pay for itself if it survives a couple oe trannys. they are rated to like 700 hp or something crazy. i used to have one in me 71 chevelle with 500 hp and it worked flawlessly.

7. Hossbaby50

I heard that Watson had some problems with his Art Carr. I also believe he said that he was having problems with service from them when he started to have problems. I don't know how much an Art Carr is, but I think it is out of my price range. I am stretching it to get a Bowtie OD. I was at Checker yesterday and had them price quote some transmissions for me.

Jet: $2700
    B&amp;M: $2100
    Hughes:$2000

I could probably save the cash to get them, but it would take an extra month and I need to get me truck back up and running. Plus from what I hear about Bowtie is it is a comperable transmission to any of the above for about $700 or more less money.

8. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

looks like youve already decided.....

9. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Personally I think you need to cahnge you break time to be in November to Febuary months. It is all about planning my friend. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Now that I think about it, just move like I did. Now no more AZ heat for this boy, at least not until August. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. Hossbaby50

No, summer is definitly better for the down time in AZ. November thru March is the wheeling season here in AZ. It is to hot to wheel in the summer months. So we wheel when everyone else during the winter down time.

11. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

12. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Just an FYI GM certa trannys come with a converter.

Dan