Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bowtie on the grille question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CK5, Jan 10, 2006.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

OK, got a question about the bowtie that is on a 1990 factory grille, mine has always had what looks to be black paint dripping down the center of the bowtie but it is on the inside. Never bothered me when it was fullsize, but now that the grille is 29" wide it is very noticable.

Does the bowtie simply pop off so I can clean the inside then glue it back on?

2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Find another blazer in a parking lot and try it:haha:

3. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

dont know if it comes apart or not . i took mine off and painted it red.

4. CK5

Good idea, where do you work again? :wink1:

5. CK5

How did you take yours off?

6. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

I had a little experience with the grills after my oem grill was stolen. On the OEM grill it looked like the BowTie was formed with the plastic and then injected with the gold tone. I guess they did it like that to keep it from ever falling off. When I went to buy a new grill, I went cheapo and got a reproduction grill. I had to buy the BowTie seperate and glue it myself. It fell off about a million times. I tried everything to get it on there, but nothing seemed to work. I looked at other Blazers (people probably wondered why I was snoopin around those trucks in parkin lots) and the OEM grill has no way (that I can see) of letting that BowTie off. Eventually I gave up and pulled an OEM grill at a junkyard.

It's weird, there seems to be no other difference between the OEM grills and the Repro grills other than the BowTie.

Edit:

I seem to remember that drip on my original bowtie as well. The repro one was nice, but after gluing it (with emblem glue nonetheless) you could see the glue marks through the gold paint. Just walked out and looked at the one I got now (took it off a 'burban) and it looks fine.

Al

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006