Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bowtie Overdrive strength

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5er4Life, Mar 17, 2004.

1. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Has anyone here broken a level 3 700r4 from bowtie overdrives? I did searching and I cant seem to find anyone that has broken one, if youo have what did you do to break it and what drivetrain combo are you running? I am planning on running a level 3 in my blazer, 383, 5.13 gears, and 42's, I do not want to have to worry about breaking that thing.

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

nope,they have a good rep.in the time i have been here never heard of there products failing.I am having my 700 rebuilt as we speak(tommorow)it will be done /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gifHowever i know a real good place closer.....by rjfguitars (modesto)they may be able to help you....the guy owns all kinds of race cars and knows his stuff good.I had to drive my truck from sacramento to modesto just to get someone compitent enough to set a tv cable lol,you might want to get ahold of either me or rjfguitar tommorow to get more info if you want.Both of us have his trannys with the same exact parts.I went through what you are going through not too long ago.The guy completely goes through everything.I am happy,Jake /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah, Kevin can build a th700 about as strong with basically the same parts as the stage 3 for a little cheaper. I have had mine for about a year now behind my 406 and no problems so far...and it is shifting better and better as time goes by. I have to go pick up Jakes blazer soon. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

I have a III in my 90 and wouldn't go any other way. BowTie knows 700's!

5. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

I was at Bowtie Overdrives this past Saturday talking to them about their Stage III 700R4. If I remember correctly, I was told it would stand up to a motor making 680 lb-ft of torque. They have good faith in their product, and seem to be honest people. I plan on having my 700 rebuilt by them in a month or two.

6. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

I've had a level 3 in my blazer behind my 400sbc for 16 months now. When I got it i had 35's and 3.73's and i've now got 36's and 4.56's (I really need more tire). All I can say it is works great. Its very strong... in fact, my only complaint is the shifts. 1-2 hits like a hammer, and 2-3 is no different! I've got a HUGE stacked plate cooler on it, and I don't drive it on the road anymore, but when i did the tranny stayed at about 150 regardless of the temp outside. I've got electric fans behind the radiator (cooler in front of radiator) and idling all day on the trail, it stays between 180 and 190.

They are very specific that you must keep it cool. hopefully it lasts me a long time! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Well thats very good to know that these things really can be built to take some abuse. Yes I wouldnt mind dealing with the guys that built your transmission in modesto.

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Well thats very good to know that these things really can be built to take some abuse. Yes I wouldnt mind dealing with the guys that built your transmission in modesto.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Great! I just drove hipinion's blazer to my house from the tranny shop and it shifts PERFECTLY...if I barely take off it shifts nice and smooth but if I get on it a little it firms up and continues to get firmer the further I put my foot in it. Thats the way it's supposed to work. Lock-up works great and doesn't bog it like the stock ones will do. His tranny is identical to mine and I have had mine behind my 406 and 35's for about a year now since Modesto tranny did it and I can attest to it's strength!. Both of ours have all the latest aftermarket hi performance parts that are currently available and is much stronger than stock. I pull trailers all the time, hammer on it on a regular basis, and do a lot of mud racing with it. It shifts better today than it did 6 months ago. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Modesto Transmission 209-522-5353
    Me(Bobby) 209-495-1212. Give me a call if you have any questions about mine or give the shop a call and talk to Kevin. Tell him Jake and Bobby sent you and he will take care of you. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!!!!!!!I LOVE IT !!!I got my truck back from Bobby after Kevin at modesto trans....Totally tricked it out,and ,my transmission has never kicked down before like that,it feels much stroger and firmer i can tell you that...and i saved a bundle!!!I am very happy,more than happy .......i feel this tranny will last more than 100k miles easily....it reminds me of my old 400 i had,but with od.Its 10 times better quality than i thought it would be when i dropped my truck off.I am not worreid about it ever breaking down again.I drove and drove my truck last night till 2am looking for a problem and couldnt find one...This guy at modesto trans totally kicks ASS!!!!!!!!!Bobby,thank you! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif