Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bowtie Overdrive

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nevercomplete, Dec 24, 2002.

1. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking about getting a 700r4 from bowtie overdrive and would like some input from anyone who has experience with them. I did a search and I couldn't find anything negative about them, only positive feedback. I'm just weary about buying a transmission after what happened to Tori89k5 and his raptor tranny. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Dude I understand what you are saying. I looked into Bowtie overdrives when I was getting my tranny redone. He sure talks a good ballgame but I still do not like buying from someone who is in a another state. [censored] might as well be in a another world. I finally went local and beat the bushes for someone here who is good. It did cost me more but what is the cost of piece of mind? My buddy went with a Jet 700r4 and has had problems. He says it is no big deal, stripped bolt holes on the housing and pan attach holes.I have to say it does run good, but it shifts way too hard for my liking. For that kind of money you would think they would run a tap down the bolt holes. He paid 2200.00 including shipping. So to each his own.

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Bowtie gets a /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif from me. I was planning to get one from them for my wife but decided to go with a th400 instead. The only reason was because I don't use overdrive enough to justify the expence.

4. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Call and talk to him. The guy knows his sh!t. The only thing is he will basically tell you if it will work with your setup. If you are running big tires and low gears, he won't suggest you use a 700. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gifI talk to him for a good 30 min one day. After that, I decided to go with a TH400. It's cheaper and still stronger than any tranny he can build for you. He'll even tell you that.

5. nevercomplete

I would love to have something as strong as a 400. I was checking out 4l80. Jet makes a kit for it so you can run it in non-computerized vehicles..but they want something like $1,300 for it!That's just the computer, then you have to find a tranny. I've also checked Gear Vendors overdrives but they run close to $3,000. I'm looking for an overdrive tranny for my sub, it's my daily driver. I have yet to tow anything with it, though someday I might. I've got a family of three, just had a boy november 14, on E-4 pay so I can't afford some trick setup. I just want an overdrive tranny that is strong and realiable. Sorry for the rant, I just can't make up my mind. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

Merry Christmas from Iwakuni Japan, I can't wait to get home.

6. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Dude I know where your coming from. Send them a E-mail off the site and fill in all the info. Steve should give you a call and talk to you a little. If your Sub is stock their stage 3 tranny is what he will tell you, you need. If it's not then he will tell you what you do need. He suggested I put a manual switch in to lock the converter, /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I don't like that idea cause then you have to explain to whoever else that may drive it how to work the trans so it doesn't gernade. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifThats why I went with the 400. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. nevercomplete

Thanks, I guess I'll email him and see what he says.

8. nevercomplete

Well, if noone has anything bad to say about Bowtie Overdrive then I guess It's safe to give them a try. Thanks for everyones help.

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

If you want me to, I can go by and check out the shop. Its pretty close to my house.

10. nevercomplete

That would be awesome, but I hate to ask you to do something like that. But, if your willing I would greatly appreciate it. I'm so paranoid about getting screwed. I love this site, people I don't even know offering to help. Thanks a lot. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

Most of these guys are Genuine! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

12. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

There is a guy (Windell) here with a company called shift masters. He built Fox's 400 and Toby's(Moneypit) 700R4. Toby's has been behind a healthy 383 for over two years and runs and shifts very nicely. He could be another option for you. He is getting ready to put a 4L80 doubler combo into Shawns rig now. He builds alot of the tranny's for the drag racers around here and seems to really know his slush boxes. #303-945-1430.

13. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

YOu can also PM Boss. He put one in his rig.