Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bowtie Overdrives tranny

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by seschev3, Jun 14, 2005.

1. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Found out that it is not going to be worth fixing the 700r4. I have dumped $2500 into this tranny so far and blew it up twice in 13000 miles. It will cost around $700 to repair this time, so I am thinking of going with a bowtie overdrives level 2 tranny. Wondering if anybody have used these trannys or have any input on them. Thanks.

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

:deal: Or you could just go sm465

3. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

I have thought about going manual and even th400 like I had in my 78 k20, but cash is an issue. The money to put in a different x-member extend the driveshafts, and all the misc. items of switching back. I have done the conversion for the 700r4 and tow my 27' trailer for camping. The whole reason was for the overdrive. At this point I want the plug and play concept.

4. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

I've got their stage III tranny and so far its been great. No probs yet! It shifts pretty hard if you get down on it from a dead stop but if you drive normal (not like me) it shifts super smooth. Just be sure to run a seperate tranny cooler with its own fan and run a temp sensor.

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

shame your in CA

I have a NP205/SMC465 already mated up... and can even give the front dshaft with it CHEAP... but shipping to CA would be a BEAR!!!!
    Sorry :crazy:

6. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

How much if I come pic it up? Or you could bring it to Virginia Beach and we could go wheelin'!!!??

7. blazerloco

blazerloco Registered Member

What are you breaking in the 700R4? I might have some advice if you give me the details...

8. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I've got the BTO stage 2 behind my 6.2 diesel. I installed it this past February. It's my DD and I haven't had a chance to wheel it HARD (too many other things to fix), but so far so good. For the price it's hard to beat. I think most of the modifications are pretty standard, then it's just a matter of a decent (quality) build. BTO is pretty anal about setting up the TV cable properly (with a pressure gauge) before they'll warranty it. A valid point with any 700R4. I'm fairly confident BTO fits the bill :waytogo:

9. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

The last time the torque converter shreded on the inside. It sent small bits of kevlar all through the tranny. And this time the tranny was leaking from the front seal, so I took it in and the pump bearing was almost gone, the pump was scored up and the hub on the converter was high and low spots. The tranny has always shifted good. I set up the shift points and pressure tested it with Bowtie since I used their tv system. 3rd gear always seemed sluggish though. It would break my momentum when getting on the freeway and climbing hills. I have a Tru-cool cooler on it that does a great job at keeping it cool. When towing my trailer, I was at 150-180*. I also talked to Bowtie today and they recommend the level 3 tranny for my application of wheeling, towing and motor output. But it looks like I am going to have to drop another $1900 for the new setup. Property taxes on the house might have to wait another month.

10. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I have always heard good things about Bowtie transmissions; however when it came time to have my 700R4 rebuilt, I used Phoenix Transmissions of Weathford, TX. I have had this trans 2 yrs and have about 30k of abuse on it running behind my 383 and it has been an awsome trans.

Phoenix Transmissions

11. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I dunno, when you start talking $1900 so you can have over drive, and still not be as strong as a th400... :crazy: just seems crazy to me.

12. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Thanks for reminding me about Pheonix. I forgot about them, but remebered that there was another tranny shop I was looking at a couple years back. I see they have your rig in their photo gallery. Which model did you end up going with and do you do any towing? Their prices seem to be cheaper than Bowtie.

13. blazerloco

blazerloco Registered Member

So, it sounds like you tore up the Converter Clutch? I'm not familiar with Bowtie transmissions, but I've rebuilt my own 4L60. There's not much to it. How much torque are you putting through it? If shredding converter clutches is a problem, just unplug the TCC solenoid harness and forget about the TCC. The typical weak points of the 700R4 are the Reaction Sun Shell and the 3-4 Clutch. Other than that, the trans is tough. If I were you, I'd buy a junkyard core to get a new pump. Then, I'd buy a new Torque Converter, replace the 3-4 clutch pack and replace the reaction sunshell with the BEAST......

14. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Get a level 3 its not that much more I have one and about 400HP and have been well not so easy on it but I do take care of it (I actually hit reverse the other day at about 20MPH and about sh*t my self but it didetn hurt anything) plus there great guys and all the local guys were more for less. Give em a call anyway you go

15. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

i installed a bowtie level 2 last year and have been very happy. they were great on the phone, shipping was quick and they walked me through the install and testing. this was my first transmission install and they made it very easy. it does have a firm shift. ensure that you talk to them over the phone and explain what you do with your rig and they will get something set up for you. you also need to read over all their install requirements while you are waiting for it to arrive. to do the install, they will require you to be able to monitor the trans temp and rpms. try to go with one of their TV-EZ kits. good luck and pm me if you want to chat about it over the phone…

16. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I used the HD4x4. Before they built my transmission, the asked alot of questions about my engine, cam, gearing etc., and built it accordingly.

17. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

We put one in my freinds 76 crew cab ford pickup. the trans held up to a built 500 cadillac motor, and in 60,000 miles never had any problems. it was the stage 3.

18. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Talk to pheonix today. They recommended the 700r4st according to the way my rig is set up and what I do with it. Quoted around $2200 to the house. They said the hd4x4 would not cut it in my rig with the 38.5"s and towing my trailer. He said if I ran 27"s it would be okay. So I think I might order the level 3 from BTO tomorrow even though the 2yr/24k mile warranty sounds good through Pheonix.