Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Box Building?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by CHEVY 4WD, Apr 20, 2004.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I have made a few post about the "system" I am working on.
    I got the 2 10" Kicker Comp VR's and I have to now build a box for behind the seat of my PU. How much room should be left at the farthest part of the magnet on the speaker? Will 3/4" be enough?

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Are you talking depth or width? What is the cubic feet required on the subs?

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I will have plenty of cubic feet for the subs Im making a box that goes behind the seat and so really it will be tall and wide but very narrow and from the back of the magnet in the worse place it will only have 3/4" so im wondering if the back of the sub is going to hit the box

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

It'll be fine that way, you may not have to make it very tall though.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I will have plenty of cubic feet for the subs Im making a box that goes behind the seat and so really it will be tall and wide but very narrow and from the back of the magnet in the worse place it will only have 3/4" so im wondering if the back of the sub is going to hit the box

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I am going to build when I find some money and time to get/build some. They will go behind the rear seats and be thin for more cargo /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Anyone know is 3/4 of an inch behind the magnet of the speaker is enough room?

7. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

It doesn't matter as long as you have the appropiate airspace fot the subs.. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I think you need to check the specs of the sub and look for something called excursion. It is how much the sub moves. Then you will know if it will hit the back of your box. I could be wrong though. Go to Crutchfield.com and look through there tech section, lots of good, basic info on audio components.

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Excursion is what the speaker cone does, not the whole cage, he's talking about the magnet area.

As long as the magnet is not touching the box,(it creates a rattle) you will be ok. You may not get the best performance out of the box if it's not setup with adequate airspace for the speakers, but it will definately sound better than stock speakers.

Just build it and have fun. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

On crutchfeild, does it tell you how much airspace is needed for each sub? For I will have to do my homework and find one that I like, and build it to the specs, then find somewhere in Canada that sells 'em! Crutchfield wont ship to the canadians! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    On crutchfeild, does it tell you how much airspace is needed for each sub? For I will have to do my homework and find one that I like, and build it to the specs, then find somewhere in Canada that sells 'em! Crutchfield wont ship to the canadians! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Some speaker companys include that info on thier websites. I think Treo does, or will soon anyways. I know I'll have to build or have built a custom box for my El Camino, but the "Smugglers compartment" will be perfect for a box, lots of airspace !!!

12. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

It really pays to simulate. Try WinISD. It is free, easy to use and powerful. Why go through the effort of builing a whole box that will give unknown performance, when you can see exactly how it will work ahead of time? You will need the speaker specs before starting.

13. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyone know is 3/4 of an inch behind the magnet of the speaker is enough room?

[/ QUOTE ]

The only time that will matter is if it is a vented magnet. I dont sell kicker so I am not sure but some subs are "vented" which just looks like a hole in the bottom of the magnet. If so I try to leave at least 1". Hope that helps