Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Boxed frame?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 2cocky, Oct 16, 2001.

1. 2cocky

2cocky Registered Member

Has any one out there done a boxed frame? I had a 97 S-10 that I put though hell and back that had a boxed frame from the factory. It never realy flexed that much. Not like my K5 atleast. Just wondering if anyone had done something like this and what was involved(cost & labor).

OOOPS....I THINK I JUST RAN OVER YOUR JEEP THING!!!!!

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I think what most people here do is to install a cage and kill 2 birds w/ 1 stone (i.e. stiffer frame and more saftey).

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I'm in the process of one right now. I'm using 3/16" wall 2x5 steel tubing. Basically what I'm doing since it's my first crack at frame building, is making a copy of the stock frame pattern with one exception. My frame will be the same width as the spring mounts instead of inside them like stock. Two reasons for this are to allow all the spring mounts to be directly under the frame &amp; to have it wider so that the outriggers to tie the rollcage to the frame will be very short; hopefully more like body mounts. Clear as mud so far??

If I didn't have the steel already bought; I'd go with 2.5"x5" steels or even 3" x 5" tubing. It would eliminate having to worry about the spring mounts extending out past the sides of the frame; nothing major, just a cleaner look.

Good Luck

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!