Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

boxed frame ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazinzuk, Dec 20, 2002.

1. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Has anyone boxed their frame I plan to the question I have is did you weld the box so there is a lip of the frame still sticking out or did you weld the plate flush with the frame. I am considering this a manditory mod on my rig it is a 73 I plan on running a D60 and 14FF about 4" of lift and 38 to 39.5 tires with a mondo flexy suspension (rip out all the mounting points and start over)Also I am a beginer on Blazers so any helpful points would be good.
    Thanks Eric /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Go to www.socalbigdawgs.com and look up "the beater".
    His name is Chris. He has a 73 blazer with a boxed frame (after he went throug 2 other frames), D60's front and rear, and 38" TSL's.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If that is what you are doing, you might also consider another route.
    I had a friend that had a nice setup with 1 ton gear and 44" tires and in the end, after boxing it and still not geting it strong enough, he got a 1 ton frame, and a blazer frame and used them one inside the other.
    I like that better than boxing because you can still run things in the chanel and have access easy.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Dang.. I'll bet that was heavy! I'd like to see pics though, sounds like a cool project.

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Boxing it is very time consuming. You would get better results from just making a new frame from tube steel.
    CHeck oout this guys set-up...just another guy I found on the net who like me had purchased a fiberglass body from US body source.although mines a K5...
    Kool Truck Project

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Sorry no pics. And the truck was parted when he purchased a new TJ and transfered all the running gear to it.
    It took a lot of work obviously because it won't all fit, the long section between the front spring hangers and the rear axle spring hangers is taller on the 1 ton, so that part was easy but in the front and the back it was more involved.
    As for the weight, he had a healthy built 454, with all the goodies, and deep gearing in the detroited rear 14b FF and frnt D60.
    He just went with a Jeep because he said the trails he likes are narrow and this thing didn't fit.

7. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

are we talking about boxing just the steering area or the whole thing? Does the rest of the frame develop issues after hard wheeling as well?
    andy

8. mrjay

mrjay Registered Member

I haven't done it myself, but the guys at 4 Wheel and Offroad Mag have talked about it. One of the issues that they brought out was that you should box the whole frame. Just boxing one section of the frame shifts the stress back to the un-boxed section. Once you go the route of boxing the whole frame, it might be easier and not weight any more to go with the one ton frame.

Jay

86 K5 - 'nough said!

I had a Ford once, then I grew up. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

I broke my 1-ton's frame at the steering box, so it was boxed, then it broke again right behind the box when it hit another car hard enough to wrinkle the frame an inch back.

Has anyone had problems with their frame cracking from stress in other places than the steering box?

andy

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I don't know about 1-ton's but 73-91 Blazer frames suck!
    I know meny people with cracks all over their frames.
    The most common areas are around the steering box (even with a brace) and around the rear shock mounts.

11. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You can put me into that club! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

When ever you strengthen a plce the next weakest place cracks.
    You have to reinforce the whole thing or don't do anything at all. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Another approach that I think is much easier is to plate the outside of the frame. My frame is plated from just behind the steering box all the way back to the rear bumper. I also used 3/8'' plate which is probably overkill, 1/4'' would suffice. I removed the body mount bracket and welded them back to the outside of the plate. I run a link and coilover suspension front and rear with an extreme amount of flex. When completely flexed I can open and close the doors and hood as if it were on level ground. I think boxing the frame is equally as strong, but would be a pain unless you have the frame completely bare. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif