Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Boxing In Frame on a k-10 questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TJS, Jun 4, 2003.

1. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

Hi,
    I do not post here much but do a lot of lurking around here. I have an 85 k-10 (see profile). I plow with it and the frame is cracked real real bad. On the right side it is just hanging on. On the left side it is cracked as well.
    The cracks are near the front engine crossmember. I know this is common and is no big deal for me to weld. I have a nice 240amp 220v HTP Mig welder, plasma cutter, Bpt. machine, lathe and a bunch of other fabbing equip. What I need to know is should I use .030 wire instead of .023 wire. ALso should I use 3/16 plate to box in the frame after I weld the cracks. I know I have to bore holes in some of the plate in order to get at the push plate bolts and other critical stuff that is behind the c-channel part of the frame. I am also going to take the engine out to do this to make it easier and fix some oil leaks and such.
    Thanks for the help.
    T.J.

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I'd go with .030 wire, and use 3/16" plate to box it. I beleive the frame rail's are close to 3/16" so try to match it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif