Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"boxing" my frame

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Truckdweld, Apr 2, 2001.

1. Truckdweld

Truckdweld Registered Member

\"boxing\" my frame

Thats right boxing but i think i will lose. Does anyone have any info on boxing a frame. Has anyone done it. I figure it will increase frame strength and duribility. Thanks a lot. forgot to mention that this is a fullsize truck.
    Ryan

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by truckdweld on 04/02/01 02:11 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Re: \"boxing\" my frame

I dont know of anyone who has doen it to a K5, but there are a lot of Jeepers that do it. Try some Jeep pages on the net and they may help..

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

" Ah.. Hong Kong, home of shiny green suit!"

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I think Toy's come stock with a boxed frame...at least the old ones anyway. I think...
    Just keep in mind how you're going to get to all of the stuff that is usually mounted on the frame that would be on the inside if you boxed it, know what I mean (Vern LOL!)? I would like to do that some day, but that would be at the end of my list of mods.

[​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Anybody could box their frames, but who would want to lose that flexibility? IMHO, the stock frames are good enough to give the flexibility, strength, and reliability for the abuse we all give the trucks. Sure there are some weak points, the steering box area for example, but nothing that you should have to add more weight to make it where it would be "unbearable" to drive. If GM had problems with the frame from the beginning, you think the engineers would have done something about it. Guess the frames were good enough because they last from 73 - 91. That record should count for something.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I agree with thatk30guy on the flex thing BUT the frame yrs is 69-91.............
    Everyone allways seames to leav out the poor first gen guys...[​IMG]

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

6. thatK30guy

WAH, WAH, CALL A WAHMBULANCE!!! LOL!!! Just kidding! Didnt think you first genners read this side of the threads! LOL! Ok, we go way back to 69. I was wrong here, I admit, and left out some "older geezers"!! Hahaha!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by thatK30guy on 04/02/01 01:46 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

7. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

LOL K30guy.... sad thing is this "geezers 69 is 11 years older than him. HEHE =)

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

That's OK we forgive you just this ONCE!! LOL[​IMG]

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

9. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I have boxed and welded the frame section for my steering box and where I am going to put my custom shackle flip. I chose 1/2 inch thick steel and d.o.m. tubing. The easiest way to do this is with templates made from cardboard. Take a piece and hold on to your frame and outline the area. Cut it out and make a rough template that you can custom fit to your frame. Dry fit the template and make sure it is the exact size you need. Next use it as a stencile to cut your bracket. Dry fit the plates the new plates to make sure. I used the d.o.m tubing as support and sleeving for the mounting bolts.They provided a secure mounting and distibution of weight to the entire plate. Hope this helps.

[​IMG] Dont steal my truck..I dont need anymore worthless junk over my fireplace.

10. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

fr8train hitt them all. I would like to add, "fish mouthing" (a cut out section with two leading edges following the frame rails) It helps realief stress when the boxed section ends. Check out the frames on most of the new stuff, they box the ront half, then fish mouth to the c-part of the frame. I think it would only need to be done if you plan on leaving the ground. Otherwize I think it limits fram flex.

Twiztid

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Twiztid on 04/02/01 09:17 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

11. Truckdweld

Truckdweld Registered Member

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: "boxing" my frame

Welding on the frames should be a last resort sort of thing. They are tempered and GM intended for them to flex. It can be done but I have only seen 1 broken frame (becides steering box) on a GM and that truck was beat on bad to do it. Problem is the way it was repaired with a gusset plate was the correct method but because of the temper in the frame the truck kept developing cracks at the repair and ended up having the frame swapped.
    If you can't be talked out of it then do the full monty and build a ridged roll cage and tie it to the frame also so it becomes a box. Probably won't need to box it that way and try to bolt to the frame and not weld. If you look you will not find welds on the frame...everything is bolted or rivited by GM.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

13. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Tough one to call since you're talking a pick-up. If you were talking about a Blazer, I'd give a definite yes. In fact, I'm building a new chassis out of boxed steel tubing and incorporating a frame mounted rollcage to make it good & rigid. With a Blazer, I don't like to use the body panels & body mounts as suspension components. I think that if you want flex, get a good working suspension & leave the body parts out of it. (Depdogs & Shawn's suspensions are good examples)
    As proof of the bad side of this, I was playing with the body mount bolts last night on my Blazer & put a jack under the body a applied a little pressure. The minute the body twisted a little from the frame, the bolt cracked right off!! Wouldn't it be great if that had been on the trail while driving?

With a pickup, I'd take a look under a few of the newer trucks to see what sections they box. Letting the frame twist a little between the cab & bed might not be so bad but you could always box the frame from the front end back to the rear of the cab area. That would leave some flex in the chassis and possibly not tear the crap out out the body mounts.

Like Grim said though, be careful with welding the frame so that in the end, you strengthen it & not weaken it with the welding.

Good Luck
    Brian
    89KBlazer

14. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Re: "boxing" my frame

If Grimm is correct I'am sooo screwd! Welding to my frame on my project "never see the light of day again" blazer is piviotal. Someone please tell me it's O.K. to weld them with a 220v mig. I need to (and have) welded on shock mounts, and need to make a repair around the front shackle mount (a miss cut, on my part, the shackle area I was planing on boxing in)

Not to be dancing with the devil here Grimm, but do you think that the frames were riveted togather for assembly line ressons? Or maby their welder was broken or ran out of wire (for 18 years). This is a big deal to me, enuff to make a 23 mile drive home to post this and make a 23 mile drive back to work!

Thanks for ruining my day, Grimm![​IMG]
    Twiztid- "anyone know if a '76 frame can be installed inplace of a possibly ruined '73 frame?"

15. thatK30guy

To keep with the body lines and mounts, the frames are interchangable from 73 to 80. The 81 to 91 can be used, but they have some differences, such as the bumper brackets, body mount bushings, etc.

16. Kennedy

Kennedy Registered Member

Tthe frame on my 2000 Silverado 2500 is boxed from the tow hooks back to the transfer case mount, then uses a "lipped C" section, and ends with a conventional C-channel behind the rear axle.

The 2000 Suburban I have been under (with rear coil springs) uses a boxed frame front to rear.

And the all new 2002 Dodge Ram pickup uses a boxed frame for the entire length of the chasis.

David
    1982 6.2L K-5
    2000 Silverado 2500