Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Boxing the frame

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by 72THING, Mar 3, 2004.

1. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Well I hope this post is appropriate for this forum. I didn't get much response in the garage. I'm about knee-deep in my frame boxing project after my frame almost broke in two at the front spring shackle hanger. I welded up the crack in the frame, welded and bolted in the shackle hangers, and fully boxed the area around the hanger.

Then I decided to go ahead and box the frame from the rear of the engine crossmember all the way to the back bumper. I've got one side almost done. I used 7/8" OD DOM to sleeve the bolts running thru the frame and 1/8" diamond plate for the actual boxing. I'm really hoping this will take a lot of the flex out of the frame, because the frame was flexing so bad it split apart my cab at a lot of the seams. Anybody have any comments or suggestions on anything else I can or should do with this project? I'm thinking about adding another crossmember between the spring hangers at the front part of the rear springs to help strengthen that area. I really need a cage tied in to the frame, but don't have the money right now for a tubing bender.

Will

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I think a subframe with really outboard cab mounts and a cage will be best, thats what was suggested to me anyway.