Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Boy that was dumb!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grim-Reaper, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Saturday I decide to make some time to do some repairs on old Dollar. I had noticed that one of the u-joint caps in my front drive shaft CV was spinning that it was about time I take care of that and replace the joint. It's been that way 6 month. Every time I planned to do it something more important came up.
    So Saturday I decide it's time. Have a trail ride schedualed the 3rd weekend of the month. BigJBear is getting his 73 ready for the road and he wanted to do a local test run probably the second weekend of the month so he can sort though the bugs for the trail ride the 3rd weekend. The last weekend of the month is a Pirate run with one day at Monteagle, One day at Tellico and a couple other runs up through the 4th of July. I wanted to make a2-3 of these trails. I would fell like a dumb bunny if I tore up that CV on the trail from that u-joint that I knew had a problem locking up.
    So I get the shaft out. Screwed up and started pulling the u-joints in the CV in the wrong order. I finaly get the blasted thing appart. Caked grease all over it. Scrape it clean. I did the same job on the wifes 79. Well the 79 runs a Saginaw CV and the 75 has a Spicer. Didn't think there would be much difference. So I got the big crud off and wanted to clean up the ball assembly and regrease it. Walk over to the pine island of toxic waste next to my driveway and proceed to spray this part down with brake cleaner to get the zerk fittings clean and as much of the old grease out. Shoot it in the hole on the one end and I feel things bouncing off my hand. Now that the grease is out of the way I notice that the Spicer CV uses roller bearins in the ball simular to those in the u-joint and you got it, I shot about half of them out when I hit it with the brake cleaner. That was a nice $36 mistake. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    Man I can't believe I did that! Any way this morning I hit my local drive shaft shop to get the new ball. Had him give me a quote for a new rear drive shaft. Pretty reasonable price of about $250 for a new shaft with stock size yokes and slip. Said he would do a rock crawler long spline (double the length of the current splines) for an additional $70 or so. Told me that the Rock carawler long spine was twice as expensive a the stock spicer. Still not a bad deal.

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

hahahahah. man i would like to join you guys! oh well someday soon i'll have my rig trail worthy.

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Don't you just hate it when you know that you've done something TOTALLY STUPID? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I haven't done that in at least... well... two or three... hours!

-Dan

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Grim, for that price you might want to call Tom Wood's place. www.4xshaft.com Unless his prices have gone up that was what he wanted for a front w/ long travel & a CV.

5. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status