Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Boyce Equipment

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4x4dreamer, Sep 6, 2002.

1. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Has anybody ever gotten parts from them? They advertise complete axels and all sorts of stuff. Eventually I'm looking to upgrade from 10 bolts...what would be the best combo to run for all around toughness?

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Make sure you are seated when you check the price list............. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif www.boyceequipment.com - undoubtedly good stuff but shopping around will save you big $$. Someone just sold a Dana 60 front on ebay for $800. Check the Boyce price on THAT.

3. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I bought a total of 3 complete axles and a set of bumpers from Boyce. I dealt exclusively with Mark Boyce and it was as good an experience as any massive expenditure can be. The products are rebuilt by Boyce and sold for an enormous markup. Sadly, though D60 fronts are hard to come by and not everyone knows or has the time to rebuild a junkyard axle. Boyce was my choice. But I'm a moron.

4. 4x4dreamer

I see, so unless I fall into a fortune, then don't go to Boyce...gotcha. Is the 14 bolt FF/ Dana 60 (rear) combo the most popular/strongest available at this time?

5. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Both of those that you mentioned were rear axles. Most 1 ton setups are Dana 60 front 14b FF rear, or Dana 60/Dana 60

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Maybe it's just me..... but Mark Boyce isnt' the NICEST person to deal with.

Prior to Moab I placed my first order with his company for two simple things: D60 spindles, and a set of 35-spline hubs. They sent the spindles and a set of 7.17 Gears for a D60....but no 35-spline hubs.

Mistakes happen...but keep in mind, it was "crunch time" before Moab so my patience was limited. I called and explained the problem and he said that I should box up the gears and UPS would come and get them. He said he wasn't sure if he had the 35-spline hubs in stock so he'd have to check with Warn directly.

Well, I didn't have time to waste so I called around and found EXACTLY what I wanted at Dynatrac. They had them for $90 less than Boyce and had them IN-STOCK. I called Mark to let him know that I was going to buy them from somewhere else, and he got completely beligerent....

"You California guys are all the same..." "I deserve the chance to sell you those parts!"... blah, blah, blah....

He made it sound like my fault that he screwed me over by shipping the wrong parts and causing delays. I had to call 3 other times to finally get my money credited back on the card for those hubs. I wonder if I hadn't called if he ever would have bothered refunding my money?

That's my story about Boyce....NOT impressed at all! And like the others have said, not particularly inexpensive either. You can do better going somewhere else.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Sounds like you got it about right, IMO...

As for strongest, it's all relative... D60/C14FF is the strongest you'll get in a relatively easy installation without a ton of fab work...

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Well, I didn't have time to waste so I called around and found EXACTLY what I wanted at Dynatrac. They had them for $90 less than Boyce and had them IN-STOCK. I called Mark to let him know that I was going to buy them from somewhere else, and he got completely beligerent....

"You California guys are all the same..." "I deserve the chance to sell you those parts!"... blah, blah, blah....

[/ QUOTE ]
    When Dynatrac (aka DynaRAPE) beats his price by that much, something is VERY wrong with that! What a jerk, he screws up, you don't have time to waste while he "makes it right" (oh, and he's already said he doesn't have them and will see if he can get them), AND his price is freaking nuts, THEN he tries to make you out the bad guy. Argghhhh!

9. Greg72

Russ,

YEP.....sounds like you understand my frustration perfectly! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

The Warn Premiums 35-Spline (#62672) were $209 from DynaTrac. I don't know if that is considered expensive or not...but it's worth something to me that at least DynaTrac KNEW that this part number exists....unlike most shops who'd either NEVER heard of it, or made some B.S. statment (like 4WPW did) that they are on backorder for 6-8 weeks from Warn!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

DynaTrac had LOTS of them on the shelf and they shipped them UPS RED (overnight)....even after paying for the overight shipping I still saved about $60 over Boyce.

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Greg, careful here...our site owner got his front D60 from Boyce also!!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

He's pissed off a lot of people around here on 2.5 ton axle stuff. I've bought dana 60 parts from him with no problem. He has my business for now.

12. Greg72

Wes,

I sure that's a whole 'nuther story....

I would predict that:

#1: Steve got a MUCH better deal than we could (mere mortal CK5 members) in exchange for the publicity on CK5.

#2: Mark knew about Steve's "influence" on CK5 and probably went out of his way to be nice...

I never used the "CK5 Moderator" thing with Boyce...I don't like to be a name-dropper, or use an affiliation to get good customer service.....good service should be standard for ALL customers, not just the high visibility ones!

As always.....YMMV. I'll never spend another dime with Boyce, but others can do whatever they'd like. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

13. 4x4dreamer

well, one of these years, I'm going to be shopping for new axles and other running gear. Hopefully by then I'll have an idea of who to buy from and exactly what to get. If I don't, I'll be asking you guys. I really appreciate all the info you guys have and are willing to share. Maybe our Illustrious Leader should think about selling Axles as well, discounted for CK-5 members of course. Just a thought...

14. thatK30guy

PM me when you are ready for a 14FF. I rebuild them with new parts and your choice of gear ratio and locker for way less than what the others sell them for. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

15. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Why would a person get preferential treatment because they are a moderator on CK5?

16. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I rebuild them with new parts and your choice of gear ratio and locker for way less than what the others sell them for.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I will vouch for the quality, workmanship and performance of them.............I'd do it again in a heartbeat. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

17. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

so you would buy from him again in a hear beat huh...ok. i need a D60 front...
    he he...
    grant

18. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Don't know what Boyce is charging now, but in '96 a new D60 with hubs, rebuilt 14 ff with detroit and spring pads and ubolts was $2450, which was less than Dynatrac wanted for just a rear D60. No problems execpt for the shipping charges. When the axles got delivered the trucking co wanted $468.50, almost twice the rate Boyce quoted. After about some phone calls it got straightened out though.

No matter who you get stuff from watch out for shipping. Make sure you get the exact shipping charges settled up front. Most companies have deals with the trucking companies to get reasonable rates. Like most everybody else, trucking co's have outragous list price rates that almost nobody pays, but they will try to get. Also watch out for Ward trucking, a few times they tried to double charge the company I work at.

19. thatK30guy

Thanks, Frank!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif