Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Boyd Coddington discovery channel show last night

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Feb 7, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

did anyone see it ? the '56 coupe! damn,... thats the career i dream to have some day some how, doing just that. evne he had to relocate in order to be able to be doing what he is doing today with his business. california... of course.. where there are old vehicles left and where are this is all commonplace, cuz it sure doesnt exist in the cornbelt unfortunately ! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

i see that Boyd started out as a machinist apprentice and was fabricating hotrods on the side and it all went from there.
    how much do you think that his machinist's trade helped him along the way to becoming what he is now ? i see that his hot rod building career started the same year i was born, 1978, thats neat /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

maybe thats what i need to do since i am mechnically inclined ? get into a trade school for machinists ?

or ?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've thought the samething many times. I'd like to do the same kind of stuff but with trucks. No market for it here that I can tell of.

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Boyd started out before the billit craze started. He is one of the big reasons it got started. So for what he did machine work was definatly a big plus. (I know I spelled a buch of words wrong)

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've been watching "American Hot Rod" sence it premeared 3 weeks ago. Junkyard dog is pretty cool. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I think some of these "auto reality" shows are getting old. But atleast they show alot of the stuff that goes on. Although I'm sure there is some added drama! Boyd is a GOD! His name has been known for A ton of cars, including some of the ZZ-top cars. He started the billet wheel craze. I like the 56 they are working on, But really want to see him do a 32-34 5 window.
    I saw the show "rides". Although the shop they were at, Troy Trepenia's Is known for building awesome street cars, They didn't really show anything of the actual build. Or any of the Hi tech stuff they do their.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i missed the one last night

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

DON'T forget!! It's on TONIGHT

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I always think of Boyd as being a "legendary builder". The show kinda cheapens that. At least it shows a lot of behind the scenes stuff. I liked where the one guy was bitching at the safety/environmental lady last nite...

Those damn safety directors... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

And yes, you should go to auto tech school. IIRC, there's a a UTI campus in chicagoland...get the cash, borrow it, sell your kidneys, whatever it takes, and go, and get yerself a great job away from bumfuck Illinois!

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

auto tech school ?! damn...... now see thats exactly what i need to get into

im sure it is.

i need to find course info about that. hmm..

i missed the show the other night /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

they need to get technical with it anyways, show us exacvtly how they are doing the work to the car,. etc. instead of focusing on relationships between the ppl on the show/employees of the business

if i was to ever be a producer of a show, i would want one that was automotive version of this old house.