Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Boys gotta have their wheels!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Jan 24, 2006.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

...[​IMG]

2. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

looks fun!! that is until he stops really fast . ouch!

3. dontoe

I'd like to have followed till they came to a big mud puddle or a muddy road!:p:

4. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

or a high speed corner:eek1:

5. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

not to be a wet blanket - but look at how fast the wheel on the semi is spinning. :)

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

It appears to be stopped but I dont think it is. Do you have a digital camera? If so, take a picture of a ceiling fan that is on in your home. See if it comes out blurry likes its moving or if it looks like it isnt even on. Same principle as the tire. Try it! It works for me.
    -Harrison

7. colbystephens

i don't know, man, i don't have a digi camera nor do i have a ceiling fan. however, i'm having a hard time buying it. i think the photo is way cool tho. :D idk. however, with your explanation, wouldn't the background not end up too fuzzy?

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I guess there is no way for you to be absolutely sure, but I do swear that I took the pic of this fan when it was on. Since you dont have a digi cam, i took one of my fan when it was on medium speed for you. As for the background, i think it has to do with how the lense is focused. It is focused on things close to us, things farther away are blurry.
    If anyone else wants to try it....i encourage you to test the experiment of the fan. I swear that the fan in this pic was on, and moving fast!
    -Harrison

DSCN0366.JPG

9. colbystephens

i believe you about the fan. now, can you try hanging the fan on a string, spinning around in circles with the fan on, and take a picture to see if the fan stops in the photo, but the background is still blurry? ;)

10. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Turn the flash off on your digicam. I've tried several times to take pics of my drumset's bass drum beaters moving in a blur and couldn't get 'em as a blur unless I turned the flash off, but then lighting looked horrible to where you could hardly see the beaters.

11. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Oh, about the pic, this week's episode of Stunt Junkies was about a similar stunt as on the pic, except it was a skateboarder who using a friend on a motorcycle to pull him up to insane speeds and he'd let go. His goal was to let go of the motorcycle when the thing hit 100MPH. First time he tried it on the day of the stunt, he let go at 70MPH, and gradually was able to go a tad faster.

Last run of the day, at dusk, he'd figured things out enough that he was able to let go of the motorcycle at 90MPH and coast back down to a stop from there.

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

It all has to do with the exposure time

13. dontoe

I wrote a partial explanation the other day and got tired of typing after about twenty lines. Try again I suppose.

There are many variables, some of which are seen is this photo. Shutter speed is a main one, as is movement of the subject, movement of the camera and relative movement between the two. Film speed factors in due to the quality, type and angle of lighting.
    In the photo above, the camera s moving a similar speed as the truck/boys. That’s why the background is an indistinct blur. The mud flap is flopping so it is blurry, the tire is spinning at a relativity slow speed, and I’d guess the truck is doing maybe 35 mph..................just a guess. Much faster and the wheel would be a blurred more and slower, the tire would be more distinct. The objects appear damp, and there isn't a distinct shadow, a shadow yes, but it appears to be a cloudy day, so the shutter speed would be maybe 1/250 (guess). Oh, the background can also be blurred worse depending on the aperture selected (amount the lens is open, allowing varying amounts of light to enter) I'll set the aperture low to decrease the depth of field, in order to blur the background/and or foreground, causing the focused subject to "stand out"

I worked 12 hours today on my day off, so I'm going to end now..........whew!

Well, one more point.
    A quickly found example of still photo, blurred background, using the aperture priority setting.

[​IMG]

14. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Your either right or the truck has a set of spinners.:D

15. dontoe

Can't bull$hit a bull$hitter, Aaaaaaa? :wink1:

16. colbystephens

ok - i can see that. i guess i was assuming that the camera person was stationary, not moving with the subject of the photo. is that your dog? man, that's gorgeous.

17. dontoe

That would be Jackson, he's an a-hole! But most Siberian Huskies are from what I've read.....................after purchasing him as a puppy! :rolleyes:

18. colbystephens

really? that's too bad. i wanted to get one - and i had almost persuaded the wife too! what makes him a pain in the a$$?

19. dontoe

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Siberians cannot be trusted off leash and need fenced-in yards ([/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]back to top[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1])​
    Siberian Huskies are known escape artists. If they can’t dig under, they may jump over. They can separate chain link and bite through light aluminum wire. They can climb through holes in chain link that are no more than 6 inches long. Once out of an enclosure, they tend to run. They may run for a long time and for many miles. Their original purpose in life was to haul a light load at moderate speeds over long distances. Even though you might not run dogs with a sled, their instincts are first and foremost as sled dogs. The Siberian Husky also has a high prey drive. While your Siberian Husky is on the loose, she could be endangering the neighbors chickens, cats, small dogs and even goats. A dog at large runs the risk of being shot, poisoned or hit by a car. The purpose of SSR is to save the lives of these beautiful animals. Education on safe containment is one way to ensure these dogs stay out of shelters and off the streets. Here are a few tips on safely containing a Siberian Husky.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]SSR does not promote nor recommend the use of "invisible barrier" fences or underground fencing. This containment method does not work well with most Siberian Huskies. They will endure the short burst of pain in order to indulge their greatest love: running. In addition, the battery operated collars may run low of power, may be removed by someone and may be chewed off. The underground fence will also not protect the dog from outsiders, such as other animals or bad people, who may threaten them. Unlike some herding dogs, such as the Briard or the German Shepherd, Siberian Huskies do not conceptualize boundaries well. They need a physical boundary to remind them![/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]A fenced-in yard is a must for a Siberian[/SIZE][/FONT] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]It may look cute, but fence jumping is a serious problem.[/SIZE][/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Husky owner. The chain link or privacy fence should be at least 5 feet tall. A six-foot fence is a better precaution. A responsible Siberian Husky owner will make frequent perimeter patrols to ensure that there are no holes in the fence or under the fence. Siberians like to dig. They will often dig under a fence and can escape through the smallest hole. There are several ways to deter a Siberian from digging. The least expensive is to run a hotwire along the perimeter of the yard using a charger designed for livestock. This charger has a slightly higher kick which can penetrate the Siberian Husky’s thick fur. It usually takes about two or three times before they associate the kick with the perimeter. Another method is to place the bottom of the fence on concrete or wood. Wood can absorb the elimination odors and can warp and rot. Concreting the bases of the fence into the concrete is probably the best method. Another method is to attach a 12-inch length of wire fencing to the base of the fence. This should be buried in the ground inside the fence forming a u-shape. If the Siberian digs at the base of the fence, it hits the sharp edges of the buried wire and is deterred from digging there. (Photo courtesy of Karen Ramstead with [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]North Wapita Siberian Husky Kennels[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-2])[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Siberians shed! (and shed and shed and shed and…) ([/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]back to top[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1])
    Siberians shed. Unlike short-haired breeds which shed constantly, Siberian shed copiously twice a year. Generally in the spring and the fall, Siberians have a complete makeover hair-wise. They literally blow out their coat. Their coat consists of an undercoat and guard hairs. Some Siberians will shed both coats at the same time. Others will shed over a longer time, shedding first the undercoat then the guard hairs. If immaculate sofas free from dog hair are your things, a Siberian is probably not. If you do not like cleaning up little hair balls, a Siberian is probably not your thing. Another issue to consider is pet allergies. Many people are allergic to dog or cat hair. Although Siberian Huskies have little doggy smell and are not one of the most allergy-causing breeds, a serious pet dander allergy of a family member should have you reconsidering a dog for your choice of pet. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Siberians are pack animals ([/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]back to top[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1])
    Siberians are pack animals (think sled dogs... again). They need a pack. Some Siberians will be OK with an all-human pack. If that pack all goes off to work or school together, the husky is alone. Lonely huskies can be destructive huskies. Crate training and companionship with other dogs are helpful. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Siberians need strong alpha dogs (that’s you!) ([/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]back to top[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1])
    Obedience training should be a must for all dogs of any breed, but most especially for Siberian Huskies. Their natural intelligence and independence can get them in trouble. Obedience school can help them respect you as an owner and can give them definite boundaries. A Siberian Husky with clearly defined rules is generally a happier dog. If a Siberian Husky is not properly trained, she can become quite a nuisance as SHE will assume control of the day-to-day operations of the household. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Siberians do not need to be shaved ([/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]back to top[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1])
    Contrary to popular belief, Siberians (or any other dogs) do not need to be shaved at any time of the year. Not even the so-called "dog days of summer;" in the deep South. Dogs have natural ways of cooling themselves and shaving them can actually hinder this. The Siberian Husky is generally free from skin problems unless you shave them. Then, they are more susceptible to skin allergies, sun burns and parasite infestation. The treatments for these problems can then lead to more serious conditions. Your Siberian will appreciate your air conditioning vent inside your house. He will also appreciate plenty of fresh water and shade. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Siberians make noise! ([/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]back to top[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1])
    Siberians are very vocal animals. Some Siberians are more vocal than others, but most enjoy a good long howl every now and then. They can sound very wolf-like when they howl. They also "talk". If you think that your neighbors will enjoy occasional Siberian concerts, great. If not, make sure that any Siberian Husky is in your house before 6 am and after 11 pm. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Siberians make poor guard dogs ([/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]back to top[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1])
    If you want a guard dog, think again. Siberians know that they can outrun danger so they don’t tend to stick around when there is trouble. They are not effective as watch dogs either. Siberians have been known to watch quietly as burglars cart off the family valuables.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Siberians are NOT tamed wolves ([/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]back to top[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][SIZE=-1])
    All dogs have wolves as their common ancestors from prehistoric days. Siberians are not wolf dogs, part wolves or tamed wolves. They are pure-bred dogs who have retained some of the primitive instincts of their past such as strong pack orientation and independence.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

20. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Yep. Huskies are gorgeous, but a major pain in the ass. They just have WAY too much energy.