Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bracket thing-ama-bobber on top of pumpkin??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90blzr, Jul 9, 2003.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Looking under my cousins '87 suburban last night and saw a braket coming off the top of the rear axle on the pumpkin. It swivels and it appears it is hooked directly above to a bracket on the frame where two, what appear to be brakelines hook into...
    Anyone know what this is? I've never noticed it before!

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

just a bracket that keeps the brakelines tucked up near the frame. I think it also holds the block that the two brakes connect into.

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Its a height sensing proportioning valve. When you add weight to the rear of the vehicle it allows more fluid to flow to the rear brakes. When empty it keeps them from locking up.

John

4. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

no, this is different zakk, this is a big arm thats about a foot long or so...

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Yup thats sounds like it!! Never noticed anything having it before! Do all Suburbans have them? Do the trucks have them too? I know my Blazer doesnt.

Does it actually work? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Sounds like it would /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Some trucks came with them some didnt. Dont know what years it started what had to be ordered to get it etc...
    I saw an 86 burb that had one. I've seen a couple of p/u's with them too, never on a blazer yet...
    They are supposed to work, but with GM things can go bad after awhile. When it does work it helps alot.

My .02
    John

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Mychal, what John said holds true. Almost all of the 3/4 tons from somewhere around '81 on up have them and almost all the 1 tons have them too. When I say "almost", I've seen more of them having these setups and a few have not because the owners have taken them off to get rid of them. They can be a "pro and con" thing. I don't use them because you can only lift the truck so high before the bracket is fully extended and sending the wrong signals for the braking. You can keep the setup by fabbing a longer bracket to compensate for the lift.

My '85 K30 used to have it but the PO removed when he installed the lift. The '88 V30 in the yard does not have it as I think Bruce (Batmanjr) may have removed it. I'm not planning to reuse it. Just one less headache out of the way. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif