Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bracket - Trailer Connector 7-pin '00-'06 - NO LONGER NEED

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by 73k5blazer, Jan 28, 2007.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

The bracket that holds the 7-pin Trailer Connector on newer (GMT800) 00-06 Style trucks.
    They are welded to the hitch. It will have to be cut from the hitch.

I've got a new trailer harness I installed in my K5, with nice GM sealed connector and need the bracket that holds it.

All the junkyards here remove the rear tires/axle and let the hitch sit on the ground, which with the entire weight of the vehicle, crumbles the bracket.

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Would an aftermarket one fit ?

3. 73k5blazer

Negative. Very different pattern.

4. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

Send he the connector and i'll just made you one. Or I can messure the one on my 03 sierra. But rather have the part in hand.

5. 73k5blazer

Thanks! I've tried to make one myself, but havn't had much luck getting it to seat right in the metal.
    The problem is, it's already wired it to the truck and I don't have the tool to pop the terminals from the body for these style of terminal and I'd probably wreck the terminals jambing a screwdriver in there to try and get them free from the body.
    I can get it to fit, but staying there is another story. I think it has a tang on one of the ears, but I've never seen one that wasn't mangled, so I I can't really tell.
    Thanks for the offer though.

6. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

Now you got me thinking. I'll drive my sierra to work tommorrow and see what I can figure out. I got a cnc plasma, 20 welders, punches & presses (oh my) So I'll play alittle. If I get it i'll just throw it on the powder coat line (can coat a frame, he he), and you can try it out.

7. 73k5blazer

Holy cow. That'd be great! I think it twist locks in there somehow, but,like I said, I'm not sure 'cause I've only seen mangled ones. I checked with Chevy dealer too, they are welded to the hitch and are part of it, and I'm not buying a whole hitch just for an 18ga bracket!
    I'll glady pay ya whatever for your time and shipping if you get one that works.
    I screwed around last weekend trying to make one that works, spent about 5 hours on it and finally said screw it. Visted a few junkyards but those are all mangled.
    Really appreciate it!

8. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

I like a challange. No need to pay for time & shipping, if I get it. Work will do that for ya. I'll see what mine looks like. I like the factory plugs, they have the wire diagram on then. Where you finding all these new trucks in the junkyards? I've been looking for a manual six speed for a while, out of a 00-06 truck. It's the only thing i would repace my sm465 with. We only got 98 and down around here.

9. 73k5blazer

Don't see that many of them, but of the 3 yards I visted, I probably saw close to 10 of them. All wrecks, couple fires, 1 looked pristine and the guy said the engine was toasted and the truck had close to 200k on it, so they junked it. :dunno:
    Don't see to many manuals in those years. My buddy actually bought his '04 Crewcab D-Max with the 6sp new, it was special order.
    I'll keep my eyes peeled though.
    The factory connector is nice. A nice ABS plastic bodied with packard sealed wire terminals and seals. I've tried the stainless sealed aftermarket ones from an RV shop before, exposed in the back there, with all the tire spit, salt spray and snow they are exposed to, if they aren't truely sealed, it's gonna get flakey on you quick. Nothing worse than trying to hook up your trailer on a sunday night in 10degree blowing snow weather and have the lights start flaking out on you because the connector isn't doing it's job. I found this trailer harness on eBay, new in the GM box for 00-06 trucks. $120 from the dealer, $20 on eBay. Yeaaah...
    Thanks a bunch!

10. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

:haha: I know what your talking about!:haha:

11. 73k5blazer

Well, I fabbed up my own bracket.
    Looking closer, I noticed that actual body of the connector comes apart! :doah: Which makes it infinitly more easy to mount.

So, no need to copy cat GM's.

12. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

sorry i didn't get to it buddy. i've been swamped at work. glad to here you got it though. i didn't even get a chance to look at mine yet.