Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bracketry questions...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by morphed86k10, Feb 15, 2002.

1. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

When going from a small block to a big block, its my understanding that all the accessories will work but the big block requires different mounting bracketry. Where is a good source for this stuff?

2. gotmilkgotlift

gotmilkgotlift Registered Member

im in the middle of the same project, i was told to go to a speed shop for frame mounts, because the junkyards wont sell them most of the time

3. a87ss305

a87ss305 Registered Member

If you want to do the swap correctly you need to go directly to GM for the BBC frame mounts and the cup mounts that bolt to the engine. The rubber mounts you can get at your local parts store. Contrary to what some people will try to tell you BBC mounts are different that SBC.

4. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Do you have part numbers for the brackets and mounts you speak of? I know that 2WD trucks use different mounts for the BBC, but my research with GM and experience with this swap has shown that the mounts for the 4WD truck are the same for SBC and BBC.

Robb
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>'73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI</a>

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

In 4WD GM trucks, I've replaced a diesel with a SBC and an SBC with a BBC. In every case, I've just dropped the new motor in on the old mounts. The only brackets that need to be changed are the accessory brackets. Looks like that is what you are asking. If so, most junkyards are more than happy to sell the brackets. Try to find an engine with everything complete and in place so you can get the bolts and spacers (and know where they go, that can be confusing) all at once to save money and frustration.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.