Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bracketry Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by morphed86k10, Jan 3, 2003.

1. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I want to pull the 454 from my K30 and put it in my K10, which currently has a 305. Can I just use all the small block accessories with the big block brackets? My main thought is the hydroboost PS pump might be different than the one in my K10. Anyone have any info on this? Also, are BB and SB motor mounts and flywheels interchangable?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

As for your accessories, I think you might have trouble with the PS pump not changing over to the BB brackets, I think the pump is clocked differently. Also there are differences between certain years. One is metric using o-ring style fittings, while one is standard using inverted flare fittings. 454 flywheels are different than every other flywheel, your SBC one will not work on it. Motor mounts are the same.

3. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Ok so another question, will I need to buy a whole new clutch or can I just get a flywheel for the 454 that will work with my existing clutch?

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You should be able to find a 454 flywheel that will accept your existing clutch depending on clutch size, if it is 11 or 12" should be no problem, if it is a 10" then you might be pushing it.

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Yes you can. the alternator will go into the big block brackets. the pulleys from the big block will have to stay on the big block as the brackets are different. The pump off of the small block should work. You will just have to pull off all of the bracketry from the SB setup. the thread difference that was discussed earlier can be easily fixed also. If you look on the back of the pump where the high pressure line runs in, it looks like a big nut. You can simply unscrew this nut, which is actually the housing where the high pressure lines runs into, and screw in the other one from the other oump. This is exactly what I did when I converted to a Big Block. Use the motor mounts from the small block, or if you get new mounts get them for a small block setup as there were some differences that make the big block mounts not line up. I found this out the hard way.