Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Braden PTO

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by atho, Oct 23, 2005.

1. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I got my hands on a Braden PTO today. Price was right, FREE.
    Anyway, I was curious about what happened to Braden's PTO offerings.
    I see they still make winches, but couldn't find PTO's listed on the site.
    Did they sell out to Chelsea/Muncie or just stop producing them?

EDIT: also curious if anyone has any catalogs of these things, or something along those lines. The ID tag on mine looks like it went through a leaf chipper, rendering it illegible. :doah:

thanks

2. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

ttt :confused:

3. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Are you refering to the part that connects to the tranny / tcase or some other part?

(lucky I've been looking for a pto winch and can't find one)

4. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

It's the actual PTO that bolts to the transfer case. I've never seen a Braden PTO before...PTO winch, yes. But not the actual PTO.

It has "BRADEN" cast into the case itself, and the part of the tag that I can sorta see says "BRADEN PTO WINCH."

I'm not sure how it is activated, there is no lever sticking out of the PTO, just a little round steel bar that looks like a shift rail (but does not move in/out...couldn't get it to twist, either...so I'm stumped).

It is actually attached to a divorced NP202 transfer case. From an old International truck of some sort. Here's the kicker, 1410 yokes all around, and this thing looks like a NP205, but has no aluminum pieces. The actual PTO opening isn't 6 bolts like the normal one on the 465 and 205, but instead is really big and has 10 bolts holding it on.

I will probably pop it apart tomorrow to check things out, see if I can figure out how to engage it.

5. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Pulled it apart today. Looks like the reason it is grinding is there's a bolt that holds preload on the main shaft of the PTO. Backed it off a 1/4 turn and no more grinding.

The PTO is pretty neat. The gear is huge inside of it, about the same size as the gear in the t-case itself. Apparently you twist this bolt type thing and it slides the gear on the shaft, but the lever is missing so I cant get it to slide (not enough leverage).

It even has an oil pickup tube that runs inside the transfer case, to the lowest point (by the front output). The pickup tube has a tiny little screen in the end.
    Very well thought out.

So, I'm guessing no one knows anything about Braden PTOs?