Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

braided break lines

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by turbofire, Sep 11, 2006.

1. turbofire

turbofire Registered Member

were can i find braided break lines for my 87 blazer. I hate hard break lines and it sucks to bend them. any help would be great.

greg

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Are you familiar with building teflon lined braided stainless hoses? You'll have to do that if I understand correctly and that is that you want to replace some or all of the hard tube in the system with braided SS hose. It's not all that hard to do (except for the braid wire punctures in your finger tips), but there are some tricks to it.

Trying to buy long enough pre-made lengths will likely break you.

3. turbofire

turbofire Registered Member

were would i get my hands on the line and fittings. You have any contacts that i can have. I can perty much make any thing or learn how to.

greg

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You DO NOT want to use braided flex line throughout the whole truck. You would have one hell of a mushy pedal and be very dangerous to do this. Spend some time bending steel brake line and fitting where needed. Using a pulley of different sizes as a guide when bending if you don't have a tubing bender works very well.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I have to call absolute BS on this. I have done it on two seperate cars for two different applications and neither suffered from a mushy pedal. One was a IMSA Road Race car where a mushy pedal would be of very high importance.

Properly secured flex hose isn't any more dangerous than properly secured hard tube and quite possibly is ultimately safer due to the many fewer union connections that store bought tube sections would require.

The only safety issue in plumbing a whole vehicle like this is learning how to assemble the hose ends correctly and how to spot those that didn't go together right.

Orme Brothers is the supplier I use as they are semi-local to me and have everything I could likely ever need and they have staff who know wtf they're talking about.
    Highly suggest that you educate yourself on making these lines. They're not all that difficult to do, but they do have some sublties that you need to know about. Most manufacturer's catalogs have a how-to section in them. I study them until you know what you're doing.