Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Braided stainless brake lines, any problems?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ugly_blazer, Sep 8, 2004.

1. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with braided stainless brake lines bursting or coming apart? I want to use the kind that I assemble so I can cut the line to the correct length.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you assemble a braided line, it will not be DOT legal.

3. ugly_blazer

shhh...

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well you asked for problems.

If you're assembling your own hoses you can go with multiple different types. I have a set ot teflon braided hoses on order for myself and Poohbair. I've been told that this hose will be most resistant to chafing.

It is available in any length. We chose to make ours 40" long.

I intend on securing mine to the axle housing and the shock all the way to the top. That way, the only place where brake line will be sticking out will be near the top of the shock tower where it won't be prone to snagging on things and will be fairly well protected.

This is the main advantage to having the lines be as long as you want.

Of course, they're not DOT legal, but that doesn't matter to me.

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

afco racing has the ends to connect to any style fitting and length from 10" to 36" my brother did this on his 79. they were cheaper to make then the procomps our buddy bought.

6. ugly_blazer

Are you doing the front, rear, or both?

What I was planning on doing is on the rear axle run the braided line from the calipers to the T block on the differential cover, and then a single line in the factory location up to the hardline. I may check into running it up the shock body in the back, it may work better.

I have read a little bit on the stainless braided line and DOT approval, and it seems that the main reason that the lines are not DOT approved is because the end user can take them apart. The requirements state a "crimped or wedged" connection. Because they aren't idiot proof they aren't DOT approved is what I gathered from the article. The article also went on to state that the type of fittings that are re-usable (the same kind that I want) are the only type that is used on aircraft, so I guess they can't be bad /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm only doing it for the front for now, I haven't decided what to do for the rear.

My lines have no ends on them at all, they're AN. I have adapters to go from -3 AN to 10mm banjo and 3/16" inverted flare. The top will be secured just like a normal brake line and this banjo fitting will allow the line to screw into it.

The only problem is that I'm now told there is a two month lead time for right now on these lines, so if Poohbair cancels I'll be below my miniumum order for them.

I am thinking I'm just going to buy the materials and make them myself.

8. ugly_blazer

[ QUOTE ]
    I am thinking I'm just going to buy the materials and make them myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I am planning to do. A local shop here stocks everything that I need. "Russel" was the brans on the packages.

9. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

my rear brakelines are stainless braided with a vinyl outer wrap (to prevent chaffing) and run from the calipers to the block and also have a D.O.T. number right on them /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif. I had a local company called Crown out of Vista CA make them for me to my specs, it took them about 2 days to make and with everything I needed to mount them were only like $60. Each line is about 30" long and they said that I won't feel any loss of pressure due to lines swelling or anything like that even with almost 7' of soft line in the rear alone. This is the same company that makes lines for manufacturers like superlift and fabtech. Did I mention that you can get the vinyl in different colors? crown's phone number is (760)599-0090 /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

man gotta love so cal, the abundance of speed shops kicks major ass!!!!

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I had a set of Superlift extended Stainless Steel lines burst at the upper fitting at the frame. I was forced to run a red light and almost T boned a car making a left hand turn. If it hadn't been 1am I would have definitly hit someone and it would have been ugly.

As it was I had to slam the trans down into first gear (4.56's and 32" tires, so I had some good slowdown gears) and coast into a parking lot and hit a curb to stop. It was no fun at all and I will never run SS brake lines again.

Harley

12. Hossbaby50

P.S. the lines were installed by a professional mechanic so it wasn't installer error. It was defective lines.

Harley

13. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I also had a line go.it was a procomp

and desertdueler had one blow as well, I usually see them blow at the frame fitting, this leads me to think that if the truck has beed flexed real good orany weight allowed to pull on the line "axel install ect.." that it may have caused a week spot.

I since went down to a local race shop and got the peces and put my own together, I can also carry a spare line "center piece of the 3 pieces" and replace a damaged one in just a minute or so this way /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The more I think about it I think if you run a 3 piece line, that is longer than what you need you should be ok.

I would prefer oem if I could run it though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

thats kinda scary, i have installed skyjacker lines on my truck, did you get anny money from them? WOW all i can say is that sucks, i got mine cause i thought they would be way stronger than stock, i hope that dosent happen to me!!

15. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

When I first was changing my brake lines to fit the lift everyone said ditch the pro comp ones that came with it. I guess their lines a know to leak or break. The best advice I can give would be to do what I did. Find a hose/fitting shop and have them make you some. I haven't had any problems with them.

16. Hossbaby50

I warrantied the lines threw the four wheel drive shop I bought them at and I sold the new ones they gave me. then I bought Napa #38872 rubber extended lines and have run them ever since. Ended up saving money by getting the Napa lines. They are lifetime warranty too.

Harley

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have the, "Napa" lines although I got mine at autozone and they're still way too short.

I guess I should cancel this teflon braided and try longer rubber instead, but its damn near impossible to find someone to make a longer rubber line.

18. Hossbaby50

If my shocks didn't limit my front suspension a decent amount they would be short for me too. They were great when I had 2.5" of lift and didn't wheel anything real hard. They will keep me going for awhile since I can't afford to get some custom length rubber lines.

Harley

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Maybe Baddog will be nice and PM me again with the phone number to that nice place in Arizona that has the nice long rubber lines because I accidently deleted the PM. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

20. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Why not just do a center drop on the front axle?

Use a long rear brake line in the middle and factory lines at the wheels.