Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brain DEAD, I need some Pinion angle help?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TK5, May 31, 2003.

1. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I know this has been covered over and over, but I'll give it a try.

I got the 14 FF mocked up under the blazer. My floor isn't exactly level. I took my degree gauge and placed on the rear of the transfer case and got 5 degrees up or not level ( I have the transfer case dropped 1 inch). I've got the 14 FF placed on the level side of the rear. How many degrees up or down do I need on the pinion angle?

I know this is a simple answer, but I am brain dead right now trying to get this rear in the blazer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Going to home to think about it. Work on it some more tomorrow.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I know Shaggy answered this a few days ago and I can't rightly remember, but I think he said everything needs to be within 2 degrees of each other.

3. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

4. DaveCowley

DaveCowley 1/2 ton status

If you aren't running a CV driveline then the pinion needs to be within 2 degrees of the T-case output. If it is a CV then it needs to be the same angle as the DL. Hope this helps you out, there is nothing like a DL vibe to piss you off.

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

If your t-case sits 5 degrees down from the floor and your running a straight shaft (not CV) then your pinion should be placed 5 degrees up from the floor to have them running parallel. You would then want to point the pinion down 1 to 2 degrees to preload the pinion down so it will rise up equal unde load (axle wrap). It much easier to take measurements off of the shaft as it will make a straight line between the two to reference your angles from. Trying to take the floor as reference for the pinion is much more difficult.

Tech Article:
    http://www.echobit.com/cgi-bin/echobit/tipstrickstech-public.cgi?tipstrickstech=3

6. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, after a couple hours break and a t-bone steak it's starting to make sense to me. Sometimes it's best to just lay things down and walk away just to get your head screwed on straight again.

It is a straight shaft. I guess the spring degree wheel was playing with my head. I guess I need to pick up one those fancy plastic ones from Home Depot.

Thanks again.