Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brain fart...SBC cylinder head bolt locations

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fr8train, Aug 22, 2004.

1. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Soooo disassembled the block and rebuilt the heads. Took notes and seperated the parts into their assigned position. Found a few buggered head bolts so told shop hand to trash 'em and get new ones. Well now heres the fun part, we trashed the location guide for them too /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif. I cant remember the locations of all the bolts. So I have two sets of new bolts and need to know where they go. Parts breakdown and quanity per head:

2 - 3" bolts
    7 - 3-3/34" bolts
    8 - 1-5/8" bolts

Anyone know where they go?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

8 short bolts on outside row, 7 long bolts under valve cover between the springs and the 2 medium length bolts go under the valve cover at each end. The bolts torque to 65 lbs also. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Thanks man! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif I can finally get some shut eye after this. Great way to spend ones birthday, in the shop late and the woman pissed off at home. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Kinda like a normal day with cake added in /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Lets see...the shortest ones should all be along the bottom edge of the head. The ones that are NOT under the valve cover.

All bolts should "start" with no more than about an inch of threads showing. Under the valve cover, you'll see which holes have the flat surface for the head of the bolt to seat on, at a different depth.

Hard for me to put into words, but all the bolts, when dropped into the holes, should stick out the same distance before you start threading them.