Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brain Fart!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Leadfoot, Feb 14, 2003.

  1. Leadfoot

    Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

    Nov 28, 2000
    Likes Received:
    Western Massachusetts
    Last weekend I installed a TH350/NP203 combo in my 78. I bought the rig a year ago and the tranny puked. I pulled the tranny and transfer case, rebuilt the t-case, had the transmission re-"built", bought a HD converter (tranny guy calls them a "baby Allison" converter????), installed a larger auxillary cooler, a remote spin on filter, SS cooler lines, and a temp guage for added insurance on this one.

    First problem. The tranny I brought down to rebuild was toast (interal bearing support egged out the case), so he found me another case to rebuild. It had a similar, but different bracket that bolts to the tranny (I'm assuming a "car" application). It seemed to work, and the linkage fit, but when trying to put it into D, 2, or 1, it would hit the exhaust.......bracket modified and all was well.

    Then came the leaks.........Well in my haste I didn't replace the front output flange. It had a groove in it, but it did not look bad and it did not leak a drop before, so I tried to get away with it........well once installed with the new seal it leaked like a bastard. 1 speedi sleeve later and it was fixed. Then I cross-threaded one of the new cooler lines and it leaked like a bastard (had to replace the fitting in the trans because of it, but everything worked out). The O-ring on the dipstick (even though well lubed with grease and silicone spray) got caught and ripped on the way in........leaked like a bastard (see a trend here). I got all those fixed and went to plow my first driveway and tranny fluid sprayed everywhere ..........leaked like a bastard /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif........I forgot to tighten one of the clamps that holds the line on the remote filter /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

    Now everything is set, works great, and is leak free, but I thought I would share for those like me who are absent minded from time to time. I could lie and say everything went as smooth as glass, but that's no fun /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

    So here's a toast to Mr. Murphy and all his friends :beer:
    and remember, you are not the only one.

Share This Page