Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake bleeder screws broke, can I bleed brakes this way.......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86haubs, Jun 12, 2006.

1. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

Can I crack the banjo bolt on the caliper and bleed the system that way?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Have you tried using an EZ Out to remove the broken bleeder screw?

Bleeding from the banjo could still leave some air in the area between the banjo and bleeder screw...

3. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

I tried briefly, but I didn't want to mess up the caliper so I stopped. I just need to bleed the brakes so I can drive it, when I get the money I will be replacing both calipers, but right now I need the burb and do not have the cash!

4. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

You can bleed them at the banjo bolts. I'm sure it won't get all the air out and I wouldn't drive it. I have done this with wheel cylinders on brake drums and it sorta worked. But for the relatively small price of a caliper why not just get a new one??.

5. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

If this is on a 10 bolt, go replace the calipers they are no more than $16 each

6. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

So I looked up the price and I need to know if I have a Jb7/Jd7 or Jb5/Jd5. What is the best way to tell the difference?

7. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

what axle? dana 44 or 10 bolt? i believe the dana 44 has standard thread banjo bolts and the 10 bolt has metric fittings.

8. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

3/4t 10 bolt. I am not sure if this is right but I was reading on the net and it says the xx5 calipers have a 15/16 piston wall and the xx7 has a 5/16 piston wall, is this correct?

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

get rebuilts..

For 16.99, I don't bother messing with broken bleeders anymore...if its an antique you cant get one for or something,then I'd try--but I have had little luck drilling them and using an EZ out..I usually end up with a broken drill bit,or snapping the EZ out off in the bleeder screw!--OR drilling too far,and ruining the tapered seat the bleeder seals on..:doah: ..then the cores are worthless,and you'll have to pay the core charge!..:(

For those bound and determined to get every last mile out of those rusty calipers,they sell "repair" bleeders that come with a fitting that has a new tapered seat--its 1/8" NPT (national pipe taper) threads,so no need to be careful while drilling--just dont drill thru the piston!..:rolleyes: ..tap it 1/8-27 NPT,a bit of teflon tape,and its bleed-able again!..we used them a lot on antique cars..but they cost about 8-10 bucks..a caliper for most GM trucks is 16.99 at Autozone here..you do the math..:crazy:

10. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

I changed the calipers last night, got both from Kragen for about 35 bucks out the door.
    Sucks now because I put everything back together and drove about 7 miles and realized my rotors were warped. I guess it is much more noticable with the 35's, I didn't even notice with my 31's. Damn the luck!