Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake bleeding & Hydro Clutch bleeding Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cegusman, Feb 27, 2003.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

1st ? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    I have replaced everything in my brake system,(Master Cylinder, All Hard Lines, 4 wheel disc prop valve, New braded lines, and all new calipers)What is the easest way to bleed the system of air?

2nd ?/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    I just swaped in a 4speed w\hydro clutch, How do you bleed the clutch?

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I cant help with the clutch, but I can help a little on the brakes.

First off, did you bench bleed the MC? If not, do it first. After that, I would fill the MC, open all 4 bleeders and let them gravity bleed for a while. I let mine bleed for about 6-8hours while I worked on other projects. Just be sure to monitor the fluid level in the MC and dont let it run out.

BTW, When i did mine this way, it only took about 2 pumps bleeding normally to finish the job.

3. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I've had good luck with a vac/press. pump.It's small hand pump deal I got at Advance auto parts.I loosen the line at the MC and pump the fluid up to it.Very little pedal pumping involved.Works good on clutch too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

well..... we had a hydro clutch on a 93 wrangler at my technacal school we had to bleed, what we stupid students did was have someone in the vehicle and have them pump the clutch 3 times (probly not nessasary) and have them hold it down, and one kid would open up the bleeder real fast and close it. all the while monitering the clutch master fluid, it goes down quick when doing this. but thats how we did it. probly need yourself and 2 other gear heads. good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    .... probly need yourself and 2 other gear heads. good luck . ....

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not enough people. Who would hold the beer ?

I use a piece of vacuum hose, a clear bottle (current one is an old glass syrup bottle), some wire around the bottle's neck to hang it with, and a little brake system assembly lube on the bleeder threads.

Pour enough brake fluid into the bottle so that the end of the hose is submerged. Crack the bleeder just barely open. Put the other end of the hose on it and hang the bottle with the wire. When you work this out just right you can watch for bubbles in the bottle as you slowly push the pedal with your hand.
    Don't forget to remove the check valve in the brake booster if so equipped.

6. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

where would the check valve be located.

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

It is the plastic fitting that the vacuum hose attaches to at the booster. Pull it out of the booster. It will fight you.

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

the clutch procedures above are both good.

as for brakes, bench bleed in the tuck works. especialy if you have a sloped drive way like me. back in. now the master cyl for the brakes is level or damn close to it. thats the big reason for bench bleeding. once that is done, TOP OFF BOTH resiviors. front and rear that is. then open all the bleed valves and attacth a small piece of tube to them to a little jar for each wheel. cansume 2 or more bubbly COLD beverages. about 30 min. come back, close all the screws. oh yeah, dont open them to much. waht you just did, or may have just done, or will be doing... wahtever, you get the point, is gravity bleed. you do have to check on the fluid level now and then in that 30 min.
    personaly, since i work part time for a tow business, i will be towing my truck down to the brake shop and having them powerbleed my system for 35 dollars. flushes out the system, but you got all new stuff. a powerbleed is the way to go in my eyes.
    Grant

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Most owner's manuals say to have the brakes bled once a year. This removes any condensation that has worked it's way into the brake fluid. In country where moist air is common this is a really good idea.

Hold up your hand if you've never done this. (Mine's up.)

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the service manual states, and I have tried it otherways without success, that the clutch slave must be unbolted and held at an angle to bleed.

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I'm all for the gravity bleed too. Just open up all 4 bleeders and wait for 30min or more for fluid to come out of all the bleeders. I didn't even bench bleed the master and there was zero air in the lines when I was done. If one started flowing first I would close that line and let it go till they were all flowing clean fluid.