Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brake bleeding.. just a thought

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Sep 10, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I know there are 871346814 ways to bleed brakes. I don't have the time lately to rig up a garden sprayer pump, and I don't wanna do the pedal pushing and blow out MC seals like many have.. I've been looking at this kit http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Tools+%26+Equipment&pid=00921021000&vertical=AUTO&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

I had the thought, isn't that kit basically the little vaccume pump, some rubber lines, and a plastic cup? Could I rig up something to bleed brakes with this?

http://www.autozone.com/in_our_stores/loan_a_tool/valvetrain_repair/vacuum_pump.htm

I'm nearly broke, at it would be awesome if I could make the free loan a tool work. I've got lots of crap to buy for my truck, and my gf's birthday is coming up soon, so I don't really wanna dump the cash on the craftsman kit just yet....

The vaccume pump looks the same to me.. any ideas as to how I could make it work? Is this a reasonable idea?

2. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

I bought basically the same kit from Harbor Freight at half the price. Granted it's plastic instead of brass/metal but the vacuum pump is made my Mightyvac the same company that makes the Sears pump. I've used it to bleed my truck brakes and it seemed to work flawlessly. Save your money and take a trip down to harbor freight or look on www.harborfreight.com for further information. They even sell the metal/brass one.

Dan..

3. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

what happened to the speed bleeders?

4. 78Suburban

2 were the small size which threads into the drum brakes. One of the correct sized ones got stripped out in my old crusty caliper.

If I could figure out how to rig up something with this vaccume pump, it would make things alot easier.. I'm gonna be renting some other tools from autozone soon anyway... So does anybody know if this is basically the same vaccume pump and if I could make it work?

5. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

the most inexpensive way I've found that works is a long(like 6ft) length of 1/4" i.d. clear, flexible hose.
    attach one end with a small clamp or zip-tie to the bleeder and just run the tubing upwards and then into a small container such as a paint can or soda bottle to catch any fluid that may come out.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Vaccuum Bleeder!..

I posted on making a vacuum bleeder from a glass jar with a screw on metal lid,and some clear 3/16" hose...(search!)..but if your not into building one,its entirely possible to just use the hose alone..hook it to your bleeder screw,open it,then plug the hose onto a manifold vacuum source with engine running..and when the brake fliud starts making the motor smoke and skip,pinch the hose off with vise grips,close the bleeder!..

Its not the best way,it could foul the spark plugs--but it beats pumping the pedal ten thousand times,and possibly trashing the seals in the master cylinder..no need to spend money either..:D

I made my vacuum bleeder from some old hospital oxogen mask hose my mother threw out,and a glass mayonaise jar..took about 30 minutes to solder two peices of 3/16" brake tubing in the lid,thats the hardest part..:crazy:

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Can make the vacuum reservoir/brake fluid receiving tank by soldering two tubes into the lid of a peanut butter jar. One just thru the top and the other nearly to the bottom of the jar. Use hose to connect the long tube to the bleeder. Connect the other to a vacuum source. MISF uses the engine's vacuum, much less work that way.
    Note that if you opt to do the vacuum bleed that you will pull air thru the bleed screw threads. Not much, but enough to make it bubble. If you want to stop this first remove the bleeder and aplly brake system assembly lube to the threads. Can use regular grease, but ABSOLUTELY do NOT get any grease in the brake system.

8. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

9. 78Suburban

that's pretty awesome.. man, I love cheap stuff like that.. I've got nothing to lose, I may give that a try... also, I could probably adapt the loan a tool thinger to the same idea, maybe??

10. 78Suburban

man, I need to go to bed.. but I since I was in the kitchen getting a glass of water anyway, I grabbed a piece of rubber tubing, unscrewed the top of the 409 bottle, connected it to the tubing, put the tubing in a glass of water, and I couldn't believe how incredibly good that squirter seems like it will work... I really think this trick will be even easier than the garden spray!! Kudos to Diesel4me And BizeeB65 for showing me this!! wow, holy cheap trick batman :bow:

I wonder if parts stores carry brake system assembly lube? I definitely might like to dab a bit on my bleeder screw theads..........

11. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

hey let me know how it goes.... I have saved that thread, but havent tried the theory yet! :D

12. cjjones

cjjones 1/2 ton status

Hve you got a gravity feed sand blaster? I use an old gun and air, attach suction side to the bleed screw and put the blasting end into the top of a ice cream bucket with a hole cut into the lid. I have used this a couple of times and it works great.