Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Bleeding questions....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, Sep 4, 2001.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

OK, somebody tell me if I have all the proper steps for bleeding the brakes:

1. Suck out all the old brake fluid from the master cylinder. Refill the reservoir with new DOT3 fluid.

2. Start with the passenger side rear brake, working from farthest to closest to the master cylinder.

3. Slide a piece of plastic tubing over the drain valve, and put the open end into a jar or container.

4. Crack the drain valve open and have a helper push on the brake pedal.

5. When clean fluid starts coming out, close the valve. Your helper can now release the brake pedal.

6. Top up the master cylinder and follow steps 1-5 for the other three brakes.

Am I doing this right? It's been about 5 years and I feel like I'm missing something. Saturday is "truck maintenance day" so I want to have everything on hand for the jobs I'm doing....

Any hints from you guys who have bled your brakes a lot?

<font color=blue> MEAN DAD WITH TWO BAD KIDS<font color=blue>

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well, I dont think you need to drain the master cylinder. This will only make the process longer!
    But have the other person press the brake a few times adn hold it say on the fifth time then you crack the valve open for a second just to get the initial burst out but close it back before the blast stops coming out. Repeat as neccesary in the order the manual says.

tRustyk5 for President!!![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Thanks, I knew I had something wrong. So I should get the wife to pump the pedal a few times, then hold the pedal before I crack the valve....

The only reason I'm sucking out all the old brake fluid is because I do a lot of towing and I noticed the other day that it's pretty black. It actually only takes a few minutes- I borrowed[​IMG] a big turkey baster from my wife last year to top off my transfer case and it now belongs to me!!!!!! I can empty the master cylinder in about two minutes with the baster..........

<font color=blue> MEAN DAD WITH TWO BAD KIDS<font color=blue>

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

You'll want to keep the end of the tube covered with fluid to cut down on the chance of air getting back into the system. It won't eliminate the chance since some (very little) air can still leak past the threads if you don't close the bleeder screw before the pedal is released. The best way I've found to bleed the systems is to take the vehicle to a place with a pressure bleeder. Seems to get it done right the first time.

Smitty

5. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Just did my brakes tonight. First time since I bought the truck, and man was that fluid nasty. Time to start thinking about replacing the lines and converting the rear to disc. :-)

I have to admit, it was super easy. I've never had to bleed the brakes on a full size Chevy pickup before. Damn, that was simple!

Dan Oglesby
    1984 K10 Blazer Silverado: 6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires