Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brake bleeding

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stizkidz, Apr 4, 2005.

1. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

I just replaced all my lines, hoses, and calipers going to the rear of my truck while doing my rear disc conversion. I am on the final step, which is bleeding, and I cannot get the brakes bled. Any tips or tricks to getting fluid to the rear calipers? They are stock chevy calipers as are the hoses. I have bled each side numerous times but still no fluid is getting to either caliper. Help!

2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

try bleeding it at the t in the rear. pain in the ass, but see if you can get fluid there first. also try tapping a bit on the prop valve. did you bleed the master?

3. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

go pick up the 3.99 brake bleader bottle
    best tool i ever bought.

just jam the hose into the bleeder, open the bleeder and pump till the bottle is full, then dump the bottle back into the reservior, and try to get all teh low spots outta the system

4. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

One more thing....make sure the bleeder screws are installed at the top of the caliper not the bottom or you'll never get all the air out
    George

5. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Those little mityvac things work great, and you could also try jacking up the front of the truck a little, then cracking the rear bleeders open and leave the truck alone for a while, just keep checking the resevoir.

When I've had that much trouble bleeding the brakes, it's always been a bad master cylinder.. sometimes the rod has a burr on it, which tears the diaphram, so there's never any pressure. damn rebuilds.

Tom

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's what I did too. Get the bottle with the magnet on it. It holds on to the fender so you can keep an eye on it and not overfill. Works great.

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What I usually do is get a second person to pump the brake pedal, and hold it while I open the bleeder. I only do this a couple of times at each corner because it takes more pressure than gravity will provide to push fluid through the system and properly position all the pistons and cylinders in the right place for the first time. Then I use my cheap little $3.99 gravity bleeder to complete the job.