Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Booster And Master Cylinder

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by clubba68, Aug 17, 2003.

1. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I was at the junk yard the other day and some mid-70's Chevy trucks' brake boosters and MC's caught my eye. I am in need of a brake booster and was wondering if I could pull the booster and MC from one of those trucks (I would say they were in the range of 1976-1979. The only problem is that it looks like they mount lower on the firewall and it looks like they may interfere with where my steering shaft pokes through because the mounting plate on them is larger and hangs down further.
    Thanks,
    Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Its super simple to use a set up off of an earlier model, '71-'72. Look for the 3/4-1 ton models, the booster will be smaller in dia. You will need the linkage and adapters to space it off of the firewell as well. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Finally, I may have just what you need...I have a dual diaphram booster with new M/C. Exceptionally clean setup! The unit is out of a '72 Suburban. As I understand it, the dual diaphram unit applies more pressure (with less pedal effort) to the M/C for easier braking. If your interested let me know, Trukman1

4. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Shot ya a PM! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

The only thing with MS BB is with c/k 20&30 models the MS was the same from 71 to 75..but the boosters are not the same after 72....I used a 71-72 booster and MS from a c/k 20/30 on my k5 it brakes like a vette he he he he....if you go with a MS from a 71-75 you need to route the front of the MS to the rear brakes and the rear of the MS to the front lines...with a MS from a 3/4 ton or 1 ton you have a larger bore in the MS witch means you will have less pedal movement and a firmer feel vs a 1/2 ton with more pedal movement and a softer feel with a small bore in you MS... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Hope this helps