Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake caliper loose? bolts tight, is there supposed to be an o ring...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90K5, Jan 5, 2003.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Is there supposed to be an O-ring on the caliper bolts? Noticed one of them could wiggle around today...took it apart and it looks like there is a notch near the head of the bolt for possibly an o ring? i kinda remember some coming with my pads, and there are some red ones in my toolbox...hmmm...not even sure if it would help...im gonna try swapping out the bushing things too.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A small O-ring fits into the hole in the caliper for the end of the bolt. A slightly larger O-ring fits into the caliper on the other side, where the bolt head fits. But there is also a steel sleeve that goes into that side first, before you install the caliper bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I think the O ring is supposed to be in the bushings. Look in the bushings for recesses where the o-ring would sit. Maybe the O-ring was supposed to be in the ear of the caliper. Look there also. Ok Harryh3 beat me to it. He is exactly right.

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I found a couple of them, enough to do the side that was really bad. It's definatley a lot better now, need to find some more of those to do the other side though.

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

We just put rear disks on a guys Blazer this weekend and the calipers only had the bushings? It was tight too.

6. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

I think your just spending too much time messing with your truck..you need to go back to lubbock and quite worrying about it till your in witchita falls on the side of the road. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Thats crazy and will never happen...I dont take 82. I'll be in like Dickens on the side of the road.

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Maybe your rear discs were a different design...the new ones definately tightened it up, it doesn't move at all now